Meat Processor - Bozeman area

Don K

Best recommendation on good meat processors seem to come from word of mouth. So, if I am able to get lucky and need a good processor for elk in the Bozeman area who would you recommend?

Thanks

I used to use yellowstone but last year my elk "went bad". Also have used budget game without incident but I heard he was going to sell it, don't know if that ever happened.

I used yellowstone for several years until it took 3 months to get my deer back and I was the one that had to call them. Doubt it was my deer I got! I used happel after that until I started processing my own stuff. If you can deal with their customer service there product seemed to be high quality. Good luck!!!

I think it depends on time of year and what you want. In terms of taste there is a guy in big timber that is hands down the best. In Bozeman Yellowstone produces the best product for the cheapest. They get absolutely swamped so if you bring it after opening week be prepared for a month wait. Budget in Belgrade is ok, their cured meats blow and they do a crappy wrapping job. Happel makes a great product and are the only ones open during the spring if you get a bear, but like was said above they can be really surly. If you bring in quarters be prepared to get an earful about how you did it all wrong and how you should just be able to get an elk out whole every time... Like we all own private ranches or something. I personally like Yellowstone the best and it's my go to processor. Also if you need a taxidermist I highly recommend Dave tinklenberg in Belgrade his shop is field and stream taxidermy he does everything from full lions to ducks and they are very high quality.

Thanks for the replies, ideas and information

This will be a archery hunt probably taking first three weeks of Sept off. I have done my own in the past just all depends on if i get a animal, and what time during the hunt along with conditions. Where I am going only way to get the animal out whole would be by helicopter.

I have had great luck in Co, NM, and WY asking for good lockers to use.

I have had very good service from Yellowstone Wild Game Processing. They are very busy during the thick of the season, however.
The reports here of meat going bad from YWGP are the first I have heard about. They may be getting too busy.
I have used Happels and Budget. No complaints from me.

Here is their URL:
http://yellowstonewildgameprocessing.com/index.html

I do not recommend matts meats in livingston. Good product, terrible service. Yellowstone has a disgusting display of carcasses through out rifle season, however a decent product. I have no idea how they could know what meats what but they delivered a good product for all of the clients I took there when I guided. Big timber meats in big timber is my personal favorite.

I think it depends on time of year and what you want. In terms of taste there is a guy in big timber that is hands down the best. In Bozeman Yellowstone produces the best product for the cheapest. They get absolutely swamped so if you bring it after opening week be prepared for a month wait. Budget in Belgrade is ok, their cured meats blow and they do a crappy wrapping job. Happel makes a great product and are the only ones open during the spring if you get a bear, but like was said above they can be really surly. If you bring in quarters be prepared to get an earful about how you did it all wrong and how you should just be able to get an elk out whole every time...
Yup, my hunting partner gets the same lecture every year, but he keeps going back ;). I don't know what his issue is, but Happel might like it better if you left the bone in and hide on so he doesn't have to deviate from his usual procedure. Definitely keep it clean.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back