Meat/butcher map?

hank4elk

I've been doing my own butchering since the 1st bunnies and birds.
For deer and elk I always just kind of found where the cuts are located from a beef butcher chart. Take the muscle off the bone and call that area,sirloin or round.
Backstraps & tenderloins are self evident. Neck meat.
Anyone have a meat map of elk or deer?
I know cows have way more fat,etc that can be left on.I take all off of elk and deer.
And the flanks and rib meat is more sinewy and thin,so it winds up small strips that go into my chili/grind pile.
I want to get more large pieces to try recipes with.
Suggestions?
Never too old to learn new info,and I'm skinning out and breaking down a huge cow today.:rolleyes: Steaks on the fire tonight.

More big pieces as in roasts? The cuts from beef to elk will be identical. Same muscles, very similar structure.

I usually leave the sirloin one whole roast. The round I cut up based on size. I got four roasts out of each round from my elk this year. Some good roasts on the front shoulder too.

That's what I always thought.
I get the whole sirloin and round for big ones. Or I'll cut the sirloin into steaks sometimes.
I do pot roasts out of shoulders and trying corned elk too this year.
Flanks,skirts,rib meat ideas besides grind ?

I've never done one, but I've seen recipes for a rolled rib roast.

That's what I always thought.
I get the whole sirloin and round for big ones. Or I'll cut the sirloin into steaks sometimes.
I do pot roasts out of shoulders and trying corned elk too this year.
Flanks,skirts,rib meat ideas besides grind ?
What are you guys calling the sirloin? I was thinking it was the rear part of the backstrap. The rest of the sirloins are "top," "tip," etc.

Anyway, I pulled this off the web a few years ago but can't find the source page.
cuts.jpg
Boneless Hind 1/4 Primals
(1) Eye of Round
(2) Bottom Round
(3) Top Sirloin
(4) Top Round
(5) Sirloin Tip
(6) Tenderloins
(7) Backstraps

Boneless Front 1/4 Primals
(8) Neck
(9) Shoulder
(10) Top Blade
(11) Mock Tender

Another one here:
http://www.kccnaturalfarms.com/shop/deer-processing-instructions.php

RobG,

The sirloin is the muscle group that attaches to the pelvis and is just "downstream" of the backstrap.

RobG,

The sirloin is the muscle group that attaches to the pelvis and is just "downstream" of the backstrap.
OK, that would be #3 (top sirloin) in the photo I gave (the names were from a butcher website but I can't find it any more).

OK, that would be #3 (top sirloin) in the photo I gave (the names were from a butcher website but I can't find it any more).

Correct. I am a little lazy in my terminology. The top sirloin is a great cut, one of my favorites. I always make roasts out of the sirloin tip, a whole one on deer or antelope and usually 3-4 on an elk.

Antelope roasts are my favorite, I absolutely love them.

Was thinking of trying a Rouladine(?) with a rolled rib roast.
That is the basic meat map laid out Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back