Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mearns Quail advice, please

Ithaca 37

I'm thinking about taking up an invitation from a friend to hunt Mearns quail for a couple days near Benson, AZ (which is 50 miles east of Tucson). I'd be going down there in January and I'd like to spend a couple days exploring and looking for Mearns quail south of Tucson towards Nogales, just to see what that country is like. Can anyone suggest a place to start looking for quail in that area? We can use the Private message system if you'd like.

Ithaca.

I know a guy thats hunts them alot , he has 3 gps's. another one of my buddy's hunts that quite a few times every year and scaled and has a gps as well.
the first guy wont be back till monday do to dog trials. the second guy I will pm now on another board.

heck if you need someone to scout around with I would be more than happy to go with you providing I get the time., I have a bunch of people I could call and get some good spots

Ithaca,

That area around Benson is good quail country. While no expert on mearns, I've found they like to live in grassy areas with scattered oaks. They dont like just the wide-open grass lands. I'd bet good money though that you could just about go anywhere in the foothills around Benson and find all three species of quail down there. I've also found that the mearns hold real tight, you darn near have to step on them to get them to fly. Lots of scaled quail down there too.

I'd try around Sonoita...I've always seen lots of quail around there.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back