Maven upgrade? Your opinion

SG25

I am currently running Vortex Diamondback 10x42 which I love, but I would like to upgrade. I was looking at the Razors because I get a pretty good discount on Vortex. Then I stumbled upon numerous people talking about Maven so I searched on here and some bird watching forums. Lots of people swear by them and read a lot of people claiming the C1 are close to the Razors. Here are the options I could think of.

#1- get the Razors, they are worth it.
#2- Just get the C1 as they are close to razors and half the price and I can use the money I save towards a spotting scope/etc.
#3- Keep the diamondbacks for a little longer and save up for the B1.

My reason for upgrading is I shoot a lot of 3D archery, use them for glassing, and need some better glass as I will start hunting more Western states this next year. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Last edited:
Maven optics are good glass. I would purchase the top of the line Maven binocs (or spotting scope) right off the bat and not look back. You won't be disappointed.

ClearCreek

I have the B1s and the C1s and have compared to the Viper HD and the Razors in low light and in my opinion the Mavens are better than their vortex peers. #2 is a winning choice.

If you are patient, diligent, and can leverage some cash-back websites and a credit card sign up bonus, you could be into SLCs in that same price range and never question again if there is something better out there. Otherwise Zeiss Conquest HDs are very nice. I owned some for 5 years before selling them for $50.00 less than I bought them for and switching to the SLCs. European glass holds its value very well.

I have had hte Vortex Diamond Backs. then went to Zeiss, from the Zeiss to Vortex 12X50 Razors. My wife wanted "her" own pair of binoculars. I bought her a Pair of Maven C1 Binoculars. The clarity is extremely clear. I think they may even be better then my Razors. I am thinking of getting a pair of the B series Mavens for myself. Go with the Mavens. You will not regret it.

Jim Bradbury

Buy once ! Vortex lifetime warranty. Razors. That being said maven low grade 10&12 x 50’s are nice for less than 500

Last edited:
@SG25 : Go to your local retailer and do hands on evaluation. Most places will have a sales associate grab a couple different pairs and go outside for eval. Because what optics do in a store under artificial light is different than how they perform in natural sunlight.

Last edited:
@SG25 : Go to your local retailer and do hands on evaluation. Most places will have a sales associate grab a couple different pairs and go outside for eval. Because what optics do in a store under artificial light is different than how they perform in natural sunlight.
And importantly if you are paying a premium it is about low light, so just before last light is your best time at a shop (I like first light in the morning but stores not open then). At high noon hard to see big differences between decent Binos/scopes.

And importantly if you are paying a premium it is about low light, so just before last light is your best time at a shop (I like first light in the morning but stores not open then). At high noon hard to see big differences between decent Binos/scopes.

...or glassing into shadows, in the rain, in the snow, shaded north sides, etc.

With something like binoculars, if you're going to use them a lot, and for the rest of your life...go all in.

I got a chance to test the razor and the maven B2 last weekend. Maven..... and it wasnt even close.

I was just testing, they were the 11x. When I'm ready for new binos, I would like to compare to meopta, I'm also a big meopta fan.

If you are patient, diligent, and can leverage some cash-back websites and a credit card sign up bonus, you could be into SLCs in that same price range and never question again if there is something better out there. European glass holds its value very well.
Well sportsman’s had their ballon pop deal today. Walked out with some Swaro SLC 10x42. Pretty stoked, I’ll be taking them out to test in a few days.

Just another name to throw out there: Athlon Optics. I own one of their Ares Spotting scopes and am very impressed. Same warranty as Vortex or Leupold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back