Caribou Gear Tarp

Maven S.2 12-27 with optical doubler

tomengineer

I’m considering purchasing a Maven S.2. 12-27x56 compact spotter. I’m also considering buying the optical doubler they make bringing the overall magnification up to 54 power. I plan to use the doubler only when an animal is spotted to try to judge it. I’m guessing the optical quality of a compact spotter at 54x is pretty poor but the idea is using it for backpack hunts when I don’t want to haul around a giant spotter. How bad of any idea is this? Thinking about using it this fall in Idaho for mule deer.

The amount of times you’ll be able to effectively use the doubler with the 56mm objective are few and far between. That maven spotter has a little bit of a fish bowl effect at 12x but is very good at 27x. I would get the spotter and forget the idea of the doubler.

The amount of times you’ll be able to effectively use the doubler with the 56mm objective are few and far between. That maven spotter has a little bit of a fish bowl effect at 12x but is very good at 27x. I would get the spotter and forget the idea of the doubler.
Ok thanks. I looked through one at a recent outdoor show and was impressed but read a few posts over at Rokslide about it being a gimmick.

Back