Matt Rinella knocking it outta the park

If you had an opportunity tomorrow to make 3 or 4x what you're currently making to go hunt all over the country, would you?

It's the entertainment inindustry.
No, I would not. Unless there is no sponsorship, no camera guys following me around, etc., which doesn't really exist.

I like what I do for a living. Then I take some time off each fall and spring to hunt, and I'm free to make all my own decisions, inside of the law and ethics. Why would I want it different?

I understand it to a degree, but at the same time, I'd bet most of us are consumers of hunting media. As long as people watch, there will be a way to make money doing it. Hunters I know who make content with it are doing it because they discovered a way to make a living doing what they love. Yes there's a lot of people doing it. But most of these people hunted before they started filming it. The drive for hunting typically fuels the desire to start filming it. Then if it turns in to something, then they just discovered a way to make a living. "Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."

If you had an opportunity tomorrow to make 3 or 4x what you're currently making to go hunt all over the country, would you?

It's the entertainment industry.
I spend weeks out hunting by myself. The thought of a camera guy, production, logistics, and the rest of the circus makes me want to puke. I think that would ruin hunting for me. I don’t like being on camera, and I barely even take grip and grins because I feel like an idiot trying to balance a phone on my pack for a picture. That’s just me, different strokes for different folks.

I spend weeks out hunting by myself. The thought of a camera guy, production, logistics, and the rest of the circus makes me want to puke. I think that would ruin hunting for me. I don’t like being on camera, and I barely even take grip and grins because I feel like an idiot trying to balance a phone on my pack for a picture. That’s just me, different strokes for different folks.
That side isn't pretty. There's some pretty good self filmed hunters out there. Takes most of that out of the equation. Self filming a hunt is an extremely rewarding experience. In my experience anyway. I did it for fun tho, not for a show.

That side isn't pretty. There's some pretty good self filmed hunters out there. Takes most of that out of the equation. Self filming a hunt is an extremely rewarding experience. In my experience anyway. I did it for fun tho, not for a show.
Self filming sounds like as big of a pain as having camera guys.....

It's the entertainment industry.

I’d be shocked if Cam made more than 100k per year averaged out from hunting.

Cam has a day job, Randy has said numerous times his CPA gig is what pays the bills, most of the Utah crew are kids with rich parents.

Sure they get free bows and occasionally tags, but they’re 1099 workers who have to figure out their own insurance, IRA/401k and pay SE taxes.

Probably the only one really making real money is Steve but that’s a totally different ball of wax.

Cam has a day job, Randy has said numerous times his CPA gig is what pays the bills, most of the Utah crew are kids with rich parents.

Sure they get free bows and occasionally tags, but they’re 1099 workers who have to figure out their own insurance, IRA/401k and pay SE taxes.

Probably the only one really making real money is Steve but that’s a totally different ball of wax.
I’m not sure that it matters if you are selling out a limited resource. There needs to be people concerned about wildlife, the new recruits aren’t those guys. History is repeating itself right in front of our eyes and most people are too dumb to see it.

There was a leak one year of what Brian Call wanted kifaru to pay him to wear there pack for just one fall, I believe he called it prime filming season, if I remember correct he wanted $30,000 just for one fall. I think a few influencers are making a ton of money and also using all the expenses as a tax write off

There was a leak one year of what Brian Call wanted kifaru to pay him to wear there pack for just one fall, I believe he called it prime filming season, if I remember correct he wanted $30,000 just for one fall. I think a few influencers are making a ton of money and also using all the expenses as a tax write off
They would have to sell so many packs to offset that it seams unrealistic...

Several years ago the swaro rep told me a certain hunter named “Donnie” wanted an insane amount of money for a swaro sponsorship. He said “we’ve never paid anyone even close to that figure.” Never told me the exact number. But they had already given him every swaro optic he wanted for free at that point. He got mad and jumped on with Maven. Who knows what that dollar figure is. But these sponsorships range from getting stuff at cost to free gear to getting a check every month to use and promote their brand. They should make these contracts public like they do in pro sports 🤣

Last edited:
I’m not sure that it matters if you are selling out a limited resource. There needs to be people concerned about wildlife, the new recruits aren’t those guys. History is repeating itself right in front of our eyes and most people are too dumb to see it.
What are your thoughts on the trapping industry? Fur trade etc.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back