Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Matt Rinella knocking it outta the park

@antlerradar throwing out some wisdom.

As someone who has spent 20 years in that field, I wonder this all the time. I do believe that citizens working together without the involvement of politicians or the agency (at least on the first, critical stages) is crucial to any conservation effort to work. Attending Gov't meetings is a big part of the conservation success story. When our grandfathers and great-grandfathers & mothers fought to restore wildlife in the first few decades of the 20th century, they did so with out much thought of what they get out of it. It was a mission to right a wrong.

Now we tend to deal with issues of abundance in wildlife species that we've put the lion's share of our conservation ethic into (game species). We (hunters) left behind nongame species because we didn't see much value in them.

I do think that social media is watering down what Conservation truly is. When we have slogans about stuff rather than actually promoting the work being done to increase the public estate to ensure better outcomes for wildlife, when we work with landowners to find better solutions for problematic species like wolves, bears, and yes, elk, we are following the edicts of Roosevelt and Leopold. Randy is the only one I've seen in this business who sticks his neck out routinely for real conservation efforts, rather than reverting to slogans. People want to know why Randy has such rabid friends and followers? Because he puts his money, time and efforts where his mouth is, and he doesn't grandstand about it. Humility and grace are weaknesses in so much of modern hunting. The new model is to elevate the hyper-partisan approach in politics to declare enemies and allies, rather than neighbors and cousins.

Humans have evolved to value the dopamine hit of social media malarkey, and now there's a 21 page thread about the issue. If that's not "Case in point," I don't know what is.

To that end - are the influencers dumbing us down? By and large, I do think so. I don't want Cam to give away a Raptor, I want him to sit down with guys who think differently than he does, and then be the leader he claims he is.

Corner crossing isn't conservation. It's access. There is a big difference here, especially when you consider the other perspective and what we could gain and/or lose by "winning" on corner crossing.
An interesting take for sure. However, it may be worth considering, when Randy talks about finding ways to "create a bigger pie?" One the ways we do that, is to improve access.

Also, just want to say that there has probably been more wisdom expressed in this thread than in any commission meeting in any state.....ever😅

The question then becomes, how do you influence the guy to move into a better direction?

I'd hazard a guess here that the mean girls episode has probably cemented his approach, rather than alter it.

And while I respect what Matt is trying to do, he's feeding this beast as much as anyone for the same thing: Growing the reach.
You and Matt would make a great podcast. He seems pretty open to examining the holes in his theories, and there are a few. Nobody has all the answers.

I think the ship has sailed with Cam.

An interesting take for sure. However, it may be worth considering, when Randy talks about finding ways to "create a bigger pie?" One the ways we do that, is to improve access.

Also, just want to say that there has probably been more wisdom expressed in this thread than in any commission meeting in any state.....ever😅
Maybe it's semantics but I'm not really sure I agree that increasing access is synonymous with creating a bigger pie unless you're opening up land that's not currently being hunted, which I think is probably a minority of "inaccessible land" that's talked about. In cases where you increase access (through something like corner crossing) to land that's already being hunted you're just splitting the pie differently (favoring public land DIY hunters over landowners/outfitters).

And to be clear, I'm for legalizing corner crossing but the fact that less accessible lands are in such high demand should tell you how poorly managed accessible lands are in comparison, as otherwise people would be less motivated to seek out less accessible lands. In some respects I wonder if opening some of these lands up to greater hunting pressure might shrink the pie since this land is some of the only sanctuary wildlife has in places like SE Montana.

I think the best way to grow the pie is through habitat work and better regulations to improve hunt quality on accessible lands. Part of what drives the demand to lease or buy hunting land is a quality hunting experience, which Matt Rinella argues is exacerbated by people like Cam and Rogan displaying their giant elk on social media.

Maybe it's semantics but I'm not really sure I agree that increasing access is synonymous with creating a bigger pie unless you're opening up land that's not currently being hunted, which I think is probably a minority of "inaccessible land" that's talked about. In cases where you increase access (through something like corner crossing) to land that's already being hunted you're just splitting the pie differently (favoring public land DIY hunters over landowners/outfitters).

And to be clear, I'm for legalizing corner crossing but the fact that less accessible lands are in such high demand should tell you how poorly managed accessible lands are in comparison, as otherwise people would be less motivated to seek out less accessible lands. In some respects I wonder if opening some of these lands up to greater hunting pressure might shrink the pie since this land is some of the only sanctuary wildlife has in places like SE Montana.

I think the best way to grow the pie is through habitat work and better regulations to improve hunt quality on accessible lands. Part of what drives the demand to lease or buy hunting land is a quality hunting experience, which Matt Rinella argues is exacerbated by people like Cam and Rogan displaying their giant elk on social media.
Agree with this.

Cami Cam Juice is a raging narcissist.

Of all the guys in the Rogan Orbit, do you see any of them beefing in the comments like Cami Cam Juice? Does Jocko get into it with people on IG? Does CIA Agent Mike Baker go after people online?

No.... because they don't care. But Cami Cam Juice knows all his aspiring hammerers will immediately put all fours on the floor for him and bark like a dog. "woof woof pet me cam, im a good boy and will protect you from the bad man Matt Rinella" He's addicted to the internet and getting slurped off by fan boys. Disgusting.

Very well put

the pie is animals.

more access is not a bigger pie it's more forks.
Sad things is we know the recipe for bigger pie, laying off does/cows , better habitat or not building on every inch of wintering habitat. Better browse. Better predator management ie trapping and houndsmen, more bear tags all this would increase the pie

This thread prompted me to look up this Cam person. Yes, I live in a box. Someone here posted that he is a narcissist. That is an understatement. I lasted about one minute looking at his crap. I find it interesting that so many people follow him. Just another sad statement regarding our society.

Cami Cam Juice is a raging narcissist.

Of all the guys in the Rogan Orbit, do you see any of them beefing in the comments like Cami Cam Juice? Does Jocko get into it with people on IG? Does CIA Agent Mike Baker go after people online?

No.... because they don't care. But Cami Cam Juice knows all his aspiring hammerers will immediately put all fours on the floor for him and bark like a dog. "woof woof pet me cam, im a good boy and will protect you from the bad man Matt Rinella" He's addicted to the internet and getting slurped off by fan boys. Disgusting.
Honestly, reading your pet name for him was pretty disgusting too...

Cam clearly lets people get to him, then wastes his time responding. I don't get it.

This thread prompted me to look up this Cam person. Yes, I live in a box. Someone here posted that he is a narcissist. That is an understatement. I lasted about one minute looking at his crap. I find it interesting that so many people follow him. Just another sad statement regarding our society.
If you would like to know more, I believe @Greenhorn has a few of his books for sale at a fair price.

You are absolutely right about this, but I do want to throw one observation out there.

In the last decade of myself trying to pay attention, I've gone to Season Setting meetings, the legislature, the commission, and commented when I thought it mattered - in person or over the wire. Montana has been flooded with "Hunting Influencers" - the only few I see getting involved with regulations in any sort of consistency is Randy and Matt and sometimes Ryan Callaghan. I had hopes that the Meateater Empire coming to Bozeman would bring some well-known faces - business owners - to where the sausage is made when the botulism has taken over. I ain't seen em yet, and when public comments are turned loose for the public to read, there's a bothersome silence.
Well, Brody Henderson commented a couple years ago pledging full support for shoulder seasons.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back