Caribou Gear Tarp

Mathews VXR vs Hoyt Axius vs Bowtech Reckoning

IAhawks84

Hey everyone,
Just figured I'd throw this thread out there. I am looking to upgrade my bow. I have been researching online the 3 bows that I have listed above. I have not gone to our store here and shot these bows because of the pandemic, so just a little research and hopefully some input from here. I prefer one of the bows listed above, but if anyone has any suggestions not listed I'm all ears. I've been looking at these because 1. I've never shot them, obviously I cannot eliminate them yet 2. I have a bunch of gift cards to this store and these are the 3 that are carried in the price range I am looking at. Thanks for the opinions! Stay safe everyone!

I recently bought the vxr 31.5, quietest bow I have shot. I cannot feel any hand schok either. I normally shoot a stan release and always hear that when I shoot so I went back to my finger puncher the other day. You cannot hardly hear the bow when shot. I would advise though to check regulations on let off where you hunt seems like most dealers are pushing the 85% let off. I had to order 80% mods for mine as none of those let off mods were on hand and I called all over the place and could not find any dealer with 80% mods on hand.

^+1

Same setup for me and luckily the bow shot only carried 80 % let off because 85 is not aloud in Colorado. I tried all three bows as well as the elite and prime in the same price range and wanted to like the Hoyt. For me the Matthews was a no brained after shooting them all. The draw cycle and the solid back wall were the biggest difference maker for me on the Matthews. The sound and vibration were all relative for me because my old bow was a $300 full setup and all were huge upgrades in those categories. Go shoot them, without putting them in your hand and shooting them, no way to know what will feel the best

^+1

Same setup for me and luckily the bow shot only carried 80 % let off because 85 is not aloud in Colorado. I tried all three bows as well as the elite and prime in the same price range and wanted to like the Hoyt. For me the Matthews was a no brained after shooting them all. The draw cycle and the solid back wall were the biggest difference maker for me on the Matthews. The sound and vibration were all relative for me because my old bow was a $300 full setup and all were huge upgrades in those categories. Go shoot them, without putting them in your hand and shooting them, no way to know what will feel the best
Can I ask what bow shop you used? Might try giving them a call, as it could be quite some time before mathews gets that order filled.

Bear creek archery. They are open now by appointment and I believe they have them all in stock. You could call and check, the only one I don’t remember shooting is the bow tech but they may not have had one in my draw length. 31”

Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely going to shoot them, I just didn't think it was a must do right now. I live in a pretty big covid hot spot right now (packing houses) so I'll have to wait to actually get my hands on these. Just figured I'd throw up the message and see everyone's opinions.

+1 on the VXR. I shot the 31.5 and the Revolt X and it was night and day difference for me. Super quiet, dead in hand, and flat out fun to shoot.
I think the Reckoning is more of a target bow, never shot one though.

+1 on the VXR. I shot the 31.5 and the Revolt X and it was night and day difference for me. Super quiet, dead in hand, and flat out fun to shoot.

I figured I'd lean towards the Mathews anyways. I have the Mission bow currently that I purchased 4-5 years ago to see if I'd like bow hunting. Turns out I'm addicted now so it is getting to be time to upgrade.

Honestly I had basically the exact opposite feelings for the vxr and revolt. The vxr was very ho-hum for me but I really, really likes the revolt.

I hunted with a Reckoning last year, and I love how that bow shoots and holds, and how quiet it is. It tunes like a dream, although I wish it had regular draw stops instead of the infinite adjustable kind. I also just bought a Revolt X and it shoots and holds very well for me, but isn't as quiet or as forgiving as the Reckoning, kind of wish I'd have bought a second Reckoning. FWIW I really disliked the VXR when I shot it, the draw cycle is too harsh IMO, I like a really smooth draw, and for that reason I prefer Bowtech and Hoyt, although I don't seem to shoot Hoyts very well (I've owned a Nitrum 34, CD 34, Double XL, and Helix Ultra and sold them all).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back