Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Match bullets

Jasher

Anyone have any bad experience using match bullets for hunting? I'm building a rifle and the bullet selection is very limited for normal hunting types. Just to be clear it's a 6.5 prc.

Do you plan on reloading or shooting factory ammo? If you reload there are a pile of bullets that are designed for hunting (there has to be at least a dozen options without much searching...Accubonds, Interbonds, Barnes, Cutting Edge, Hammer, Swift, Partitions, etc) but if you're shooting factory ammo your options aren't great. Hornady Precision Hunter are supposedly good but I'd rather have a little tougher bullet. Do yourself a favor and get into reloading especially since right now 6.5 PRC ammo so slim.

Do you plan on reloading or shooting factory ammo? If you reload there are a pile of bullets that are designed for hunting (there has to be at least a dozen options without much searching...Accubonds, Interbonds, Barnes, Cutting Edge, Hammer, Swift, Partitions, etc) but if you're shooting factory ammo your options aren't great. Hornady Precision Hunter are supposedly good but I'd rather have a little tougher bullet. Do yourself a favor and get into reloading especially since right now 6.5 PRC ammo so slim.
I do reload. I have looked for many of the bullets you have suggested. The problem is no one seems to have anything in stock. I did order some elite hunters 140 grain. The eldx would be the last ones on my lt. I have used them in the past in my .308. The bullet performance was terrible on a deer.

I see people talking about using match bullets in the 6.5 cm. I didn't know if anyone had any bad experiences doing that. I can find tons of match bullets in the 140+ grain.

I'm of the belief that Match bullets are for shooting targets and many will argue the opposite

Not sure where you're looking...

Last edited:
Twist rate on the hammers is faster than what I have. Not sure what company is the last one you shared but $60+ for a box of 50 is way past my wallet.

Cutting edge are ones I've seen as a non-lead option promoted by several raptor advocates. Yeah they are pricey but an option

What's your twist and end goal with bullet weight?

1-8.5 looking around the 140 grain. I have been shooting 2 30 cals for years and I guess I'm just use to all the options for them out there.

The more I see the mono bullets in action the more I like them. FWIW I just watched a 127 Barnes LRX out of a 6.5 CM kill a pretty stout black bear in his tracks. Steep quartering away shot, entered the last rib, exited the offside front shoulder. Pretty mild load with RL17, going about 2850. Midway has them in stock, I just ordered 100.

I have no problem using the mono bullets. I actually load the etip in my 300 wm. The reason I'm looking for the ones around 140 grain is because those are the ones that seem to preform the best in the prc.

I have no problem using the mono bullets. I actually load the etip in my 300 wm. The reason I'm looking for the ones around 140 grain is because those are the ones that seem to preform the best in the prc.
Understood, and the 140s definitely give you a higher BC (usually).

Understood, and the 140s definitely give you a higher BC (usually).
I don't even have the gun put together yet. Most of the parts are at the house. With the unreliability of finding some of the components of reloading I want to try to get something that is going to be available most of the time. It's so frustrating to get something worked up and go to get more and no one has it.

I don't even have the gun put together yet. Most of the parts are at the house. With the unreliability of finding some of the components of reloading I want to try to get something that is going to be available most of the time. It's so frustrating to get something worked up and go to get more and no one has it.
I’ve been there before, so I’ve learned to buy a few extra components to have in stock, and then to reorder before I need them

147 eldm seems to kill lope and deer pretty well. I know a guy with a phone full of videos thru a phone scope. They hit pretty hard from what I saw, daughter 3 used said match bullet in a 6.5 cm this past season and shot her first deer.. 547 and it dropped.

Last edited:
I think the key when using match rounds is being heavy for caliber.
I use 168 ELD-m in my .308. Still trying to find the best load for my .243.

I think the key when using match rounds is being heavy for caliber.
I use 168 ELD-m in my .308. Still trying to find the best load for my .243.
I was using the 178 grain eldx in my 308. I shot a deer at just over 100 yards and I found the jacket inside nothing else.

“Match bullets” is too broad of a brush to say yes or no on IMO. I gladly hang my hat on 139 scenars but that’s about the only one I trust across all species.
I’d probably pass on the a-max and eld match, even though I’ve killed deer, antelope, and elk with them. The 147 eldm is a functional factory option as a backup. I’ve also killed deer with the 136 scenar but likely won’t use it again. You’d have a hard time convincing me that SMKs are a good place to start.
For the typical situation and user, hunting specific bullets are certainly going to be the best choice. If you’re going to experiment with other options, I’d start and probably end with the 139 scenar personally. They’re harder than 140 hunting bergers in my experience.

For less than elk the 147 is cool, if you can spin it in your 8.5” at your elevation.
As for availability, 139s are easy, I just bought another 1K the other day from powder valley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zjzeuske
Back