Masterbuilt Digital Smokehouse.

BrowningBLR

Looking into buying one, just wondering if anyone has one or has had any experiences around one? I found one 66% off and am ready to pull the trigger but I'm always weary of such "great deals". Any info is appreciated!

Last edited:
I've got one and absolutely LOVE it; had no issues with it, cooked a helluva lot of ribs. I'd definitely recommend a cover for it to protect from dust, rain, snow, etc.

I've got one and absolutely LOVE it; had no issues with it, cooked a helluva lot of ribs. I'd definitely recommend a cover for it to protect from dust, rain, snow, etc.

I have deemed your opinion VALID. Anyone that drives through the night from Reno to Montana and kills a sweet bull is good in my book! Where at in MT did you get him? Ordering the Smokehouse now! Thanks for the info!

I have one too...I wish I would have gotten the 40" model instead of the 30" every time I make summer sausage or brats. Either way it is a pretty sweet little smoker that holds heat very well and could not be easier to use.

Definitely recommend it.

Hof

I have had one for 4 years now, bought it at Cabelas in Billings. There is one issue that took me a while to figure out, There is a hot spot on the right side of the smoker. Even if you fill up the water pan you will still get a hot spot. I had a very thin sheet of metal, like the heat deflectors in a gas grill, made to slide in under the water pan. This eliminated the hot spot and spread out the heat evenly. I have used mine so much that I had to order a new water pan for it. Cover it up is good advice and if you try to use when it is every cold out, there is a thermocoupler on the back wall of the smoker that won't allow it to turn on. You have to warm up first, I use my daughter's hair dryer to warm it up enough to allow the unit to turn on.

My next smoker is going to be a commercial size one but I have made lots of ribs, brisket, jerky, turkey, chickens and ducks in mine.

Nemont

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it! I am pumped! Any suggestions on kinds/flavors of chips? Never had a smoker so very, very new to it all.

I had a electric smoker for a few years, then bought a propane model 10 or so years ago. I could never get the electric up to temp during the winter, but I had a cheaper model.

As for wood, try everything. It's amazing how different woods make things taste different. My whole family prefers mesquite over everything for red meat. Cherry is prefered on Chicken at my house. Any time I see a different wood chips I buy a bag and try them out.

I do have one bit of advice for you on smoking. Order a remote thermometer now. I didn't buy one until 2 years ago and it's one of those things I kicked myself for not spending the $50 upfront after having one. I have one with 2 probes, one for smoker temp and one for meat temp. Worth it's weight in gold.

My masterbuilt came with the remote and digital thermometer that can be monitored from the remote. See if you have those options on the one you ordered before ordering extra gadgets that you might already have included.

Hof

I smoke venison hindquarters with Nemont's brine. Turns out like a delicious venison ham. So dang good it isn't even funny.

This brine and recipe I started using for whole goose breasts so I have not used it on Venison like Rat Fink did.

1 Gallon of apple cider, not apple juice
2 cups kosher salt
2 table spoons of Morton's Tender quick
some whole pepper corns, some whole allspice berries.
Garlic powder, to taste
Onion powder, to taste

Boil together until mixed and then pour into a container with on 7lb bag of ice, I use a food grade 5 gallon bucket.

Trim all fat, silver skin and blood shot meat off of goose breasts.

Put goose breasts in a container, again a food grade 5 gallon bucket works for me, and cover with brine, The breasts have to be covered. I leave this in my beer fridge in the garage and stir daily for 5 to 6 days. Once out of the brine, rinse meat and let sit in clean, cold water for an hour and then air dry for 30 minutes. Brush with apple cider and sprinkle fresh cracked pepper on top.

Bring your smoker to 200 degrees and place meat on the racks until the internal temp of the meat reaches 155 to 160 deg. Remove from the smoker and let sit for a while. Usually you have to sample them.

Back