Yeti GOBOX Collection

Martin Lithium Anyone?

emrah1028

So I was looking for a second, low-poundage bow for small game hunting. My idea was to look at entry-level, kids bows and such, as my 60lb. regular hunting bow is a bit much for launching at squirrels (and burying arrow shafts in marsh and grass).

Lo and behold I came across a used 2014 Martin Lithium for sale on AT classifieds. $290 shipped with Schaffer drop-away (well, scissor) rest.

http://www.martinarchery.com/2014/compound/performance/lithium/

Couldn't resists. And man, I love this bow!

Mine has the 50-60lb limbs. Martin says you can turn the limb bolts out 5 turns, and when I do, I'm down to 40lb pull! Perfect for a squirrel slaying rig. Shoots my field points, small game blunts, and DRT Dirt Nap broadheads dead-nuts. Can't argue with a 5lb holding weight at full draw!

Fit and finish is pretty good. Not as good as a top of the line bow, but for $600 new, it's a freaking bargain. When maxed out at 60lb it feels EXACTLY like my Elite Z28 and seems to shoot faster (6.5" brace vs. 8" brace). Super easy to work on too. The limb bolts back all the way out so you can remove the string, cables, cams, etc. without a press.

It's tough to keep this baby at only 40lb and relegate it to being only my small game rig. But I want to kill something big with my Z28 first.

Emrah

Congrats! I'd be tempted to set it up at least at the state min. poundage for deer hunting and give it a whirl at that as well. I shot my first archery deer in the 90's with a youth bow (XI Myles Keller) set at 45#s. Full pass through at 15yds. Yours likely performs much better than that did.

Last year I bought a Martin Bengal to keep around for a backup bow. It shoots fine, and serves its purpose. I agree that they are great bows for the price.

1Pointer,

The legal minimum here in MN is 30#. I figure if it's ok with a 40# recurve, it's ok with a 40# compound. My quiver will have 3 small game blunts and one DRT Dirt Nap broadhead "just in case" I'm out small game hunting and the stars align, where a big fat juicy doe steps out at 20 yards broadside and admires my shooting form. I talked about the broadheads in another thread, and being a 2+2 (blade with small bleeders), I have no qualms about ethically taking a shot under 30 yards with one.

I'm lucky enough to work 5 minutes away from an archery-only WMA, so with driving, walking in/walking out, I can get a solid 30 minutes of small game hunting every day during the season. This will be the bow and setup I carry. If I'm going exclusively for archery deer, I'm bringing my 60lb bow.

Emrah

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back