Marsupial Gear Bino Harness and Compass Interference

crock239

Loading my pack for upcoming NM hunt and noticed that the magnetic closures on Marsupial Gear bino harness totally mess up both a traditional compass and phone compass.

I know of course magnets mess up a compass, just the closures on the MG harness is not something I really thought about....most natural way to hold a compass or phone when navigating is in front of your chest, and it turns out that's close enough that the magnetic closures would turn you around completely.

Maybe why my bushwhacking back to camp in the dark last year was a little more difficult than it should have been....

Last edited:
I want to bump this as it seems like one of the negatives to the Marsupial is this complaint of magnetic interference. Surely if it’s a big deal there is someone with personal experience?

I've had a Marsupial for several years, and never noticed any interference from the magnets with the compass in my phone. I don't use a traditional compass, but I'd imagine there could easily be interference there.

Yes, the magnets on the Marsupial harness will definitely mess up a traditional compass. I didn't have to use my compass this fall since I relied on OnX. I carried it and a topo in my pack just in case though. If I was going to need to use the compass to triangulate my location, which is a good idea now and then, I would simply take the harness off, shoot my azimuths, plot them on my topo, and continue on. Now, if I was going to use the compass more than that, I would probably use a different harness without magnets.

I experienced this same thing last week. Hopefully I can bump this thread and save someone a headache in the future.

My buddies android had no interference, but my iPhone and compass were thrown off by it. Wondered around in the dark trying to find my atv for an extra 10 minutes before I figured it out.

I experienced this same thing last week. Hopefully I can bump this thread and save someone a headache in the future.

My buddies android had no interference, but my iPhone and compass were thrown off by it. Wondered around in the dark trying to find my atv for an extra 10 minutes before I figured it out.
This is an old thread and Marsupial has since released a non-magnetic version as an option for people who do use a compass regularly

I didn't notice the same interference this past fall (Nov 2021) and it's the same MG harness w magnetic closures and phone that I had issues with in 2019, also android. Can't imagine there's been a software update in the phone that could have offset this but who knows?

Regardless, good to be aware of the possibility

Interesting to know there's now a non-magnetic MG harness option

Last edited:
I didn't notice the same interference this past fall (Nov 2021) and it's the same MG harness w magnetic closures and phone, also android. Can't imagine there's been a software update in the phone that could have offset this but who knows?

Regardless, good to be aware of the possibility

Interesting to know there's now a non-magnetic MG harness option
It was fine with my buddies Android. It definitely messed up my iPhone though.

It was fine with my buddies Android. It definitely messed up my iPhone though.
Yeah it's no fun stumbling around the mountain in the dark with a compass pointing in the wrong direction. You're lucky you figured it out quickly....pretty sure it cost me more than 10 minutes the first time. :ROFLMAO:

I've also had similar issues ,with my then Sitka magnetic closing bino harness interfering with my compass heading. Have replaced it with a fhf harness. The amount of magnetic interference can vary,depending on which direction you are travelling. This is due to the magnetic pull of the earth. Regardless of a magnetic flap. Here in the Southern Hemisphere I get a much more accurate compass reading heading in a westerly direction as opposed to an easterly direction. Probably the opposite is true for you guys . Possibly why sometimes you may have a more or less noticeable issue with your magnetic closing bino harness flaps influencing your compass.

Yeah,but one would think one making outdoor gear for ones outdoorsey folks would have thought...about something. Naah. No one uses a compass.....................
I'm still pissed my ancient Silva compass got screwed up.
On the other hand I do like my bino harness.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back