Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Marlin sight options

MThuntr

I started loading 143 Lever Hammers in my 1990's edition Marlin 336. Initial testing suggests I can easily get to a safe velocity without pushing it. I don't need to push them to function at <150 yards. Testing proved to be tough as even first shot was off paper. Some messing around has me about 7 inches high and 2 inches right at 100 yards with the factory sights as low as they'll go. Now am considering options for sights. Here are the options I'm considering. Thoughts?

1) Tang sight...probably talk with Montana Vintage to see about sight options (kind of the expensive route). I read mediocre reviews of the Lyman #2 so I'll stay away from those
2) Lyman 66 receiver mounted sight
3) new rear sight to replace factory sight with hopes of finding on that will be a bit lower
4) new front sight with different height to lower
5) mount a scope (factory drilled already) and move on.
6) don't use hammers and stick with standard bullets.

I just put a skinner tang mounted peep on my 336, had to add a taller front sight. They make the exact same peep with an integrated scope base, I almost regret not going that route.

They also make a blade that goes in your dovetail on the front that can easily be filed to the correct height if you decide to go that route.

Williams makes a set of Firesights for the 336. Receiver mounted rear peep and FO front. They send a couple of different height front sights in the set.

I have a Leupold VX2-7x33 in an old weaver flip mount on my 336C and it's a pretty sweet set up

You'll need a taller front sight unless you scope it no matter what rear you go with. For peeps, Williams and Skinner both make good options, the skinner being the better looking of the 2. XS sights are too course for my liking, but if it's a woods gun they'll do fine.
If you put a scope on, check out the Leupold IER(scout) scopes. There's a 2.5x model and a 1.5-4x which I prefer. Leaves plenty of room to get to the hammer.

I have a Leupold VX-1 2x7 on a .22 rim fire and am thinking of having it mounted on a 30-30 Marlin 336. My eyes are too old for peep sights! Is it strong enough for this caliber?

Dark timber and thick woods gun, won't be using it for long distances...... maybe 100 yards.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
I have a VX-1 on a .22 rim fire and am thinking of having it mounted on a 30-30 Marlin 336. My eyes are too old for peep sights! Is it strong enough for this caliber?

Dark timber and thick woods gun, won't be using it for long distances...... maybe 100 yards.

Any help would be appreciated
I had a VX-1 mounted on the 336 at one point and it did great. I'd do it

I went through the same and ended up mounting a Trijicon AccuPoint on mine with DNZ rings. It doesn't look like a classic but makes a great 0-150 yard woods gun for me.

My marlin was my first centerfire rifle. I got it from service merchandise for $125 Back in 1986. Someone returned it and I watched it go down every week for a month.
I used it with open sights ( I probably couldn't afford a scope at the time)for a few years until I bought my ruger tanger in 30-06 from my brother for $100 who came into it in a car deal. If I got to ever using it again I would mount a scope on it. Probably a variable lower power with a wide field of view and a pretty thick reticle.
I have gotten used to shooting thru a scope and for me its the way to go.

PS I have had plenty of fun and spent thousands and thousands on buying great rifles , high quality scopes and mounts but really I could get by just fine with only my ruger and marlin and my $225 investment. Its pretty easy to separate this fool from his money.

My marlin was my first centerfire rifle. I got it from service merchandise for $125 Back in 1986. Someone returned it and I watched it go down every week for a month.
I used it with open sights ( I probably couldn't afford a scope at the time)for a few years until I bought my ruger tanger in 30-06 from my brother for $100 who came into it in a car deal. If I got to ever using it again I would mount a scope on it. Probably a variable lower power with a wide field of view and a pretty thick reticle.
I have gotten used to shooting thru a scope and for me its the way to go.

PS I have had plenty of fun and spent thousands and thousands on buying great rifles , high quality scopes and mounts but really I could get by just fine with only my ruger and marlin and my $225 investment. Its pretty easy to separate this fool from his money.
Thanks! That's kinda the way I'm leaning these days. Think more (or at least as much) game was taken with the old school equipment. I'm getting back to basics.

I have a Williams Peep on the back - and really liked the adjustability.

For the Front sight - the Williams Fire Sight had a ton of options for differing heights. I do like the visibility of the bead and got the exact height I wanted.

It's been a good setup for me.

Thanks! That's kinda the way I'm leaning these days. Think more (or at least as much) game was taken with the old school equipment. I'm getting back to basics.
Thats because that what we had and used i reckon. I wouldnt want to give up my new optics ( binos , scopes and range finders ) or my new clothing and rechargeable headlamp in lieu of that old crap but my old rifles shoot the same as my new rifles. A bit more care needed than my new all weather rifles but they shoot good. My old ruger came with a old tasco scope. Its got a vx3 on it now. So maybe I aint that old school. LOL.

Thats because that what we had and used i reckon. I wouldnt want to give up my new optics ( binos , scopes and range finders ) or my new clothing and rechargeable headlamp in lieu of that old crap but my old rifles shoot the same as my new rifles. A bit more care needed than my new all weather rifles but they shoot good. My old ruger came with a old tasco scope. Its got a vx3 on it now. So maybe I aint that old school. LOL.
Me either! Got a vx on my kimber .308 and it's great, but not so much in thick stuff. Good to have options. My optics clothing and gear are light years ahead of the old stuff, but the old school guns still has a place. Like the nostalgia too, brings back some good memories. Got about 50 deer shot with my black powder cap and ball muzzle loader. Two of my boys shot their first deer with it.

I have a Williams Peep on the back - and really liked the adjustability.

For the Front sight - the Williams Fire Sight had a ton of options for differing heights. I do like the visibility of the bead and got the exact height I wanted.

It's been a good setup for me.
I have a nice peep set up on this gun, but my old eyes don't work so good with it anymore! Not enough for me to shoot at a live critter and be confident I can drop it quick. Would hate to wound one..

I live about 20 mins (on a good day) from Skinner Sight HQ. Good sound option. Really knows his stuff.

Went with a Trijicon Accupoint 1x6x24. A 1” tube would look better but already had the Trijicon and it is crystal clear and fiber lumed. The 45-70 Marlin has the pic rail, went with Seekin rings.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back