Marlin Lever for Elk

Hunts

I'm wondering which Marlin lever gun you would all pick for elk hunting. I thought about the 35 Rem for awhile but decided it just didn't have enough power beyond 100 yards. Right now I'm leaning towards the 444 Marlin and the new 338 Express. It would be nice to shoot with confidence to 250 yards. Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I have a 444 and have carried it for elk a few times, though never bloodying it.

If you're really limiting yourself to 250, either cartridge would do fine. The 338 ME was designed to really walk away from the other lever actions at a range past that.

Also, with the 338 ME, you're limited to one bullet, in one factory chambering.

Isn't there also a .308 ME that approximates the .308 Win? I think 250 yards is kinda stretching the trajectory of the .444, but maybe with the new LeveRevolution bullets it will work better than my experience with the flatpointed bullets. The .338 ME is probably the best bet - although you could do a BLR in any number of calibers, too!

The leverevolution load for the 444 drops ~16inches and hits with 1400 ft/lbs at 250 yards. (sighted 2" high at 100).
The traditional flatpoint load drops 20 inches and hits with 1300 ft/lbs at 250.

It's not a laser beam out there, but I don't think you'd be pushing it too much at that range.

I've only used it on hogs, and found other rounds better suited to shoot much past 150-200 yards. No doubt it hits hard - I just preferred something a little (lot) more flat-shooting. Maybe because I am not that good at range estimation to handle more curved trajectories. :)

Haha I hear you. I passed on multiple shots on cows between 150-200 yards trying to get closer.

Those Marlin Express rounds are pretty interesting. I'd load up on components now if I were to get one though. Also one thing to consider would be getting the 308 over the 338 so you could always fall back on 30-30 bullets if the flextips go away.

I've talked to some local shops about the new express Marlin rifles and none of them seemed very interested. Both Wholesale Sports(BZM) and Capital Sports are not stocking them. The guy at WS said they had one 308 express for over a year B4 they heavily discounted it just to get it out the door. I would have thought they would get more attention but what do I know??

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back