Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Mark 5, Klassik, Z6

Randi

Before April disappeared off the face of the earth ( at least I have not been successful in reaching her ) I told her I was looking for a specific scope and she suggested I research the

Mark 5 HD 3.6-18 x 44
Z6i 2.5 -15 x 44
Klassik 3-12 x 42

and then do a search of this forum and to also ask you fellows what your thoughts are about these scopes. In my search I found that in 2018 some here did not like the Mark 5, or at the very least thought other scopes that were comparable to it were better and cheaper, but unless I missed it nobody actually had the scope, at that time.

The Klassik and Z6 certainly gives a larger FOV. Leupolds lifetime warranty is always a plus. All good glass.

to be used on a long distance mountain rifle.

Which do you have or would buy and why did you chose it, or would choose it over the other two ? thank you

Who is April?? Anyway, I just put a Mark5 on a rifle for myself. I like how light and compact it was compared to other scopes. It is overkill with a 35mm tube but I got it on a sale and love it so far. I would have looked at a firedot style but my astigmatism won't allow it.

What type of hunting are you wanting to do with it? I’ve owned all 3 before and can give you my perspective if you want.

schmaltz--my apologizes. I should have said "Europe". She is a member of this forum. And, thank you for the Mark 5 review

Schaaf--thank you. that would be appreciated. At this moment caribou, goat and sheep. But at some point in time I will return to the lower 48. and then Antelope, Elk, Coues,

Last edited:
Sorry girl, I am not of much help, as I am a strong believer in "if its not broke dont fix it" and Leupold has worked well for us---so, I would chose the Mark 5. My elders tell me that glass, like bullets have gotten much better and that Swaro and S & B dont stand out as they once did. But, I am not discounting their quality as it is first rate. Maybe the gap in glass quality has just narrowed . I have noticed when using other peoples rifles/scopes that the Swaro and S & B give one a larger field of view, but I am assuming your using a spotting scope or bio,s on your hunts, so even that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me, but it is nice. If the fellows here dont respond try to get in touch with Scotty or Aleena. Your grandfather should have their contact info. Best of luck

Last edited:
Schaaf--thank you. that would be appreciated. At this moment caribou, goat and sheep. But at some point in time I will return to the lower 48. and then Antelope, Elk, Coues,

If you're wanting to dial for elevation I'll go through the turrets on each.

On the Mark 5, the turret zero stop system is hard to beat. Crisp, tactile clicks available in MOA or Mil. Way more adjustment than I can imagine any hunter needing. Locking elevation and Covered windage.
The Schmidt and Bender has a precision hunter model available in the klassiks with a zero stop turret available that would give you 3.2 mrad of adjustment, I think about 12 moa. It is a small turret and capped windage. Turret clicks were crisp but not audible.
The Z6 has the exposed turret option with a zero stop and single turn turret much like the S&B that gives you about 15 MOA. The turret on the Z series scopes always felt cheap to me, mostly plastic and soft clicks on the turret, still it has the capped windage.

The weight of the Mark 5 was about 26 ounces. It felt manageable but the 35mm tube is something to think about.
The weight of the Klassik is about 20 ounces and feels about right. 30mm main tube.
From what I remember, the z6 is about right in between. Also a 30mm main tube.

The glass in all 3 is very good, I would rank them as probably Z6=Klassik with both being slightly better than the Mark 5. The Mark 5 shows a decent amount of Chromatic Aberration if you move off the sweet spot of the scope. I tend to prefer the wider magnification ranges of the Mark 5 and Z6 vs the Klassik, although I've never really needed more than 12x.

For durability, I would probably rank the Klassik and Mark 5 first followed by the Z6.

Warranty on all 3 is top of the business. Leupold probably being the easiest to deal with.

Z6i all day long.
Eye relief much better than the leupold
Ballistic turret available on Z6I is brilliant. 4 positions for 4 preset distances that you can set using thier app
SandB great low light scope.
In the UK we can legally shoot deer 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset.
That's what the Z6i, Schmidt and Zeiss do best. Low light

to be used on a long distance mountain rifle.

The Z6 2.5-15x44 is offered in BRH (4.5 mils in the reticle), BT-Plex (4.6 mils in the turret, no marks for wind), and the BRH-i and BT-4Ai which are basically the same with an illuminated dot.

If "long distance" to you is ~700 yds, the scope will do fine for elevation, but only the BRH is going to give good options for a wind hold (other than referencing the animal's body).

If you're looking for a 1000 yd rifle scope, you're going to be disapponted. You'll be able to see 1000 yds, but will have no way to get your bullet there.

Randi, I have had only marginal experience with the scopes you mention, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I have been furiously researching scopes myself with a more modest budget of 500.
Unlike much of what you find across the net, I am far more concerned with durability and zero retention. For you, depending on the ranges, I would add turret accuracy and ability to return to zero, if you plan to dial with turrets.
Finding reviews that cover all these aspects of a good mountain scope are hard to come by, but they are out there, at least a few.
The brands that I regularly see are Nightforce, S&B, SWFA HD series, and some of the top end Burris and Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes.
I have very little brand loyalty when it comes to optics, so I think I am fairly unbiased in my research.
Again, take this with a grain of salt, but personally i would probably get the S&B. The weight seems reasonable for a mountain rifle, something hard to come by with most of the scopes I mentioned above. Not sure what magnification you are looking for, but I would recommend also looking at the some of the bushnell elite tactical scopes, specifically the 3-12x44, it is discontinued but still some floating around.
Again, I have little direct experience with these three, just what I have determined through substantial research. Hope this helps, I'm a professional level armchair quarterback.😂

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back