Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

March Muskox

BrooksRanger

Well folks, I'm starting to prepare for my upcoming March Muskox hunt on Nunivak.

I've done about as much research as I can at this point, but keep coming back to which rifle to choose. I see a lot of YouTube videos of guys hunting with bows so I'm pretty sure any high powered rifle will work.

I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on using my Marlin 1895 Guide 45-70, with 325 grain LeverRevolution ammunition. My rifle is scoped with a 1.2-5 Leupy, and I'd like to keep any shots within 100 yards. Any thoughts about this being a good choice to take with me on my hunt?

Good luck on your adventure.

I presume it’s a super low temperature hunt. Make sure your firing pin remains unfrozen.

Well folks, I'm starting to prepare for my upcoming March Muskox hunt on Nunivak.

I've done about as much research as I can at this point, but keep coming back to which rifle to choose. I see a lot of YouTube videos of guys hunting with bows so I'm pretty sure any high powered rifle will work.

I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on using my Marlin 1895 Guide 45-70, with 325 grain LeverRevolution ammunition. My rifle is scoped with a 1.2-5 Leupy, and I'd like to keep any shots within 100 yards. Any thoughts about this being a good choice to take with me on my hunt?
All I know, is that my grandpa used a 338 win mag and it worked out great for him!

A 230 grain eldx has 4,119 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle, drops to 3,690 ft lbs at 100 yards. The 45-70 has about 3,032 ft lbs. Drops to 2,158 ft lbs at 100 yards.

I'd have to imagine 2,158 ft lbs is more than enough to kill a muskox! Good luck, and take some great pics and take notes every day so you can do a great recap for us when you get back!

Thank you for the feedback. That is exactly the kind of information that I would like to hear about. My 338 Win Mag bolt action is a safer bet, but it doesn't shoot as accurately. Although at 100 yards or less, that's pretty nonsensical.
I go back and forth, but if I hear enough from folks supporting the 45-70 then I'll take it.

Thank you for the feedback. That is exactly the kind of information that I would like to hear about. My 338 Win Mag bolt action is a safer bet, but it doesn't shoot as accurately. Although at 100 yards or less, that's pretty nonsensical.
I go back and forth, but if I hear enough from folks supporting the 45-70 then I'll take it.
Well I have to vote 338 then, I'm sure the 45-70 will work, but the 338 has a special place in my heart thanks to my grandpa!

Good luck, I hope to go on a muskox hunt with my 338 some day!

Take a real hunting rifle. Take the .45. It will work, every time, and will be perfect on muskoxen. After all, they aren't that big and .45-70s will kill bison deader than stones.

Which one are you 100% confidant wont freeze up in the snow and condensation/temp changes?

Lots more moving parts on a lever.

Which one are you 100% confidant wont freeze up in the snow and condensation/temp changes?

Lots more moving parts on a lever.
That's a great question, and probably one I'm grappling with the most. I would anticipate keeping the rifle outside the house in a soft case as soon as I get to Mekoryuk. Whatever I bring will stay outside or in some sort of cold shed to prevent any warm/freeze condensation issues.

I'm also going to travel on snowmachine with the rifle in a soft case until I need to take it out when I'm ready to fire. I would hope this would prevent much snow (blowing or otherwise) from coming into contact with the rifle.

I have taken the 45-70 out at around 10F for shooting, and had no reliability issues but also realize that's not really that cold. March in Mekoryuk, may be a cruel mistress.

I used my Rem 700 7mm Rem mag with 160 grain Accubonds for my Canadian Muskox and a couple of Canadian Barren Ground Caribou on a September hunt. Even had a day of fishing out on the Lake by camp, after we chipped the ice off the boat's outboard motor.

I had a full mount done with my Muskox, even in September, his hair was long and thick.
W7tGfVAl.jpg

E61CCJvl.jpg

Keep warm and have a great hunt!

Hey Brooksranger, who is your transporter? Me and a buddy are heading up at the end of January. We just got done booking our hotel in Bethel and our flights out to the island. Me and a buddy got super lucky and drew as a party so there will be 2 of us. I think we have everything lined up but will be curious to hear you are going with. We are with Ed.

I used my Rem 700 7mm Rem mag with 160 grain Accubonds for my Canadian Muskox and a couple of Canadian Barren Ground Caribou on a September hunt. Even had a day of fishing out on the Lake by camp, after we chipped the ice off the boat's outboard motor.

I had a full mount done with my Muskox, even in September, his hair was long and thick.
W7tGfVAl.jpg

E61CCJvl.jpg

Such an incredible animal

Thanks guys. Buzzy congrats on the draw. The logistics are definitely not something to do last minute so I'm glad you have everything you can take are of done. Now it's just a waiting game...I'm going with Ishmael.

W7tGfVAl.jpg

E61CCJvl.jpg

What do they taste like? Always wondered if they would be especially good to eat.

I thought that it tasted good, somewhere between elk and beef.

I brought a cooler full of meat home and I remember one time my GF and I were eating tacos made with my Muskox burger and I made the comment that I thought we could have been the only people in the world eating Muskox tacos that night.

If it were me, I’d take the 45-70 but would consider the heavier projectiles like the high 300gr mono metals or 400gr+ hard cast. Hair is surprisingly difficult to penetrate.

I’m looking at booking and going on a musk ox hunt in two years. Have a buddy that went and had a good time and wants to go back so a few of us are looking at booking and going in 25

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back