Man kills grizzly in self-defense, keeps claws

I'm not sure how other states handle it, but in AK if you kill a bear in self defense (or in defense of property) you MUST turn the hide (claws attached) and skull in to the state. You are required to salvage those items and transport them to a wildlife trooper or F&G office and fill out a DLP (Defense of Life and Property) report. You can also expect to be interviewed by a trooper.

I'm not sure how other states handle it, but in AK if you kill a bear in self defense (or in defense of property) you MUST turn the hide (claws attached) and skull in to the state. You are required to salvage those items and transport them to a wildlife trooper or F&G office and fill out a DLP (Defense of Life and Property) report. You can also expect to be interviewed by a trooper.
If I remember right, can't you bid on that hide at the auction and maybe get it back?

If I remember right, can't you bid on that hide at the auction and maybe get it back?

Hides/racks that have been confiscated by the troopers are auctioned at The Fur Rondy, in Anchorage every year. However, identifying the hide that you DLP'd could be a problem as there could be quite a few offered. The old, "See one 7 1/2 foot brown bear and you've seen them all", syndrome.

SSS in that instance, if you are dumb enough not to call the authorities. All he had to do was convince someone that it was in self-defense-which it may not even have been-and he would have been OK. Stupid is, as stupid does.

SSS in that instance, if you are dumb enough not to call the authorities. All he had to do was convince someone that it was in self-defense-which it may not even have been-and he would have been OK. Stupid is, as stupid does.

Or just say... yeah I made up the whole thing and just bought the claws on ebay.

Hell, they will burn you for buying them.
How would they bust you it’s legal to hunt them? Hell there’s a couple grizzly mounts for sell in pawnshops in Bozeman.

More my point is that they don’t bust Susie for having an eagle feather for her new age sage ceremony.... but they are gonna bust chuck for having a pile of them in his garage and telling his buddies about how he popped that SOB off his fence.

USFWS and state law enforcement have some discretion with who they are gonna go after.

Last edited:
How would they bust you it’s legal to hunt them? Hell there’s a couple grizzly mounts for sell in pawnshops in Bozeman.

More my point is that they don’t bust Susie for having an eagle feather for her new age sage ceremony.... but they are gonna bust chuck for having a pile of them in his garage and telling his buddies about how he popped that SOB off his fence.

USFWS and state law enforcement have some discretion with who they are gonna go after.
If it has been mounted, then there is no issue. I get what you are saying. It makes no sense, but when has a government agency, logic and sense ever been even been usable in the same sentence?

Not an expert on the subject, but I’d bet that if they could prove your claws came from a T&E grizzly population segment (DNA match or whatever), there be trouble.

Not an expert on the subject, but I’d bet that if they could prove your claws came from a T&E grizzly population segment (DNA match or whatever), there be trouble.

Those population segments were also legal to hunt until fairly recently...

My point is just that no LEO is going to bust some dude at a bar with a grizzly claw on a neckless...there is more to this story, which most likely is some flapping their jaw all over town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back