Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Male vs female dogs

Well, I ended up going crazy and have BOTH a male and a female on the way. A started 11 month old male yellow lab that has some shed hunting certifications as well as being started on birds and a 15 month old female black lab that has a pretty solid start on retrieving with a good steady, been through force fetch, doing long retrieves and even some doubles.

Both were going to be breeding dogs for the owners, but things changed and they decided to go different directions. Going to be able to get them shipped together so will save some money there too.

After talking to the breeder/trainers I think I am going to get the female spayed very soon after we get her and going to hold off getting the male fixed until he is fully grown and then depending on if he exhibits negative behavior or not.

Mostly had females after a couple males.
Mostly GS those females. 2 alfa's...the most possessive and aggressive dogs I ever had. Great dogs tho.
Rio is a big male dobie and the best dog I've had. But he is a neutered male I rescued. Aggressive barking, watch out if your a critter/stranger. Still trying to figure out which language he was raised under. Occationally he will sit. He will always get into the truck and always sticks by my side. He does go on digging adventures for rodents.
I was looking for a mild female at the pound and Rio was the mellowest dog in the joint.
Yep. They're usually there for a reason ... not a good one.

Well, I ended up going crazy and have BOTH a male and a female on the way. A started 11 month old male yellow lab that has some shed hunting certifications as well as being started on birds and a 15 month old female black lab that has a pretty solid start on retrieving with a good steady, been through force fetch, doing long retrieves and even some doubles.

Both were going to be breeding dogs for the owners, but things changed and they decided to go different directions. Going to be able to get them shipped together so will save some money there too.

After talking to the breeder/trainers I think I am going to get the female spayed very soon after we get her and going to hold off getting the male fixed until he is fully grown and then depending on if he exhibits negative behavior or not.
Force fetching a Lab? That doesn't sound right. One thing to consider when hunting a pair of flushing dogs is they will often (almost always) push each other ... out of range for your shotgun. I have a Lab and French Brittany. When I hunt them together, one is almost always kept by my side ... or it's just a wasted walk in the outdoors. So, basic obedience is critical. One Lab alone will usually stick pretty close to the handler.

Force fetching a Lab? That doesn't sound right.
Very common. Happens all the time. Especially if you plan on trying to get the dog titled in any way. Not going to work the dog and train every other aspect just to have the dog blow it not retrieving to hand. Is it necessary? Not always, but why not shore up any questionable abilities/behavior? Not every lab is going to deliver birds to hand even though its "in their blood lines" just like not every pointing dog is going to hold rock steady points.

The black female is the spur of the minute decision. I had looked at her earlier and ended up deciding on the male yellow lab that is in Missouri. Working on transport the transporter said they would be dropping a dog off in Georgia before heading to Missouri and then bringing the dog to me. I remembered the black lab I had looked at in Georgia and the transporter quoted me a very low shipping cost since they would be filling an empty slot in their schedule and I spur of the moment decided to get them both.

There are a few issues with paperwork on the black lab but it is from a reputable kennel so I'm paying less than 1/3rd for her than I am for the yellow lab with the fancy ribbon.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it works out. So the dogs are not from the same breeder?

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it works out. So the dogs are not from the same breeder?
Nope. 2 different breeders, and 2 different trainers. The black female is my attempt to circumvent my wife from picking up a puppy from the local pound so the other one isn't lonely. LOL.

Nope. 2 different breeders, and 2 different trainers. The black female is my attempt to circumvent my wife from picking up a puppy from the local pound so the other one isn't lonely. LOL.
Smart move! But expensive. Hope they get along. Would be very surprising if they didn't. They are Labs after all. Until two years ago I had two Labs and the Britt. They lived, hunted, and traveled together just fine. Will you be keeping them in the house? I STRONGLY recommend that you do.

I've had both male and female hounds. Honestly i like the females there more bitchy but they seem to stay true especially after a few litters. I also have labs both female and male and for some reason i prefer them as a male. In fact the next lab i get after this male now will be another male.

They were delivered today and I am realizing that there is a pretty big difference in getting one new dog vs. getting two new dogs!

C8BDE382-ABA4-4283-9440-84910EAE4E52.jpeg

We are going to be in for some work the next few days getting them transitioned to our home and our way of doing things over the kennel life that both of them are used to.

They both seem like they have to potential to be pretty good dogs, I paid more for the yellow male and he does seem to be very smart and full of energy. The black female hasn’t been worked with much recently and hopefully with a little time in our part she will start picking things back up quickly.

We don’t have a kennel or a physical fence so working on getting them sorted out on our wireless fence is the first priority.

Last edited:
I bet it doesn't matter, but my current dog is my favorite dog and she's female. I've decided when it's time for my next one, I'll likely choose a female then as well.

They were delivered today and I am realizing that there is a pretty big difference in getting one new dog vs. getting two new dogs!

View attachment 255246

We are going to be in for some work the next few days getting them transitioned to our home and our way of doing things over the kennel life that both of them are used to.

They both seem like they have to potential to be pretty good dogs, I paid more for the yellow male and he does seem to be very smart and full of energy. The black female hasn’t been worked with much recently and hopefully with a little time in our part she will start picking things back up quickly.

We don’t have a kennel or a physical fence so working on getting them sorted out on our wireless fence is the first priority.
Good looking pups! Fun times ahead.

Always had male hunting dogs. They are just built better for what I need them for.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back