Making the most of your budget

CowboyLeroy

I've been looking at a barbary sheep hunt in New Mexico, and I'm wanting to upgrade my binoculars. With that said, in your opinion, am I better off spending my entire optics budget on glass? Or, should I downgrade the glass to afford a tripod?

Will the benefit of the stabilized optics outweigh a one-teir decrease in glass quality or should I go for the best glass available?

What binos do you have now? What’s your budget? There are options at many budget levels. I have a $1100 pair that leave little to be desired. The guy with a $2400 pair might disagree though. Even $300-$350 can get you a decent pair - some folks are satisfied enough at that price range, while others are making plans to upgrade as soon as they lay hands on them.

Tripod is a must. Mine cost $70 I think.

It's pretty near impossible to say without knowing your actual budget, but about $120 gets you a very decent tripod, more like $100 if you like a ball head. I'd start there.
Suppose its a one thousand dollar budget. Buy 1000 dollar optics? Or go 800 dollar optics and a 200 dollar tripod. Just hypothetical numbers

Just off the cuff for $1000 a good pick would be:
--Slik Sprint Pro EZ III, $120
--Leica Trinovid HD, 8x42 or 10x42, $850-$900 (open box right now at B&H Photo)

I'd hunt anywhere pretty happily with that set up. Another hundred on the optic gets you into Meopta Meopro Air or used Meopta Meostar.

Just off the cuff for $1000 a good pick would be:
--Slik Sprint Pro EZ III, $120
--Leica Trinovid HD, 8x42 or 10x42, $850-$900 (open box right now at B&H Photo)

I'd hunt anywhere pretty happily with that set up. Another hundred on the optic gets you into Meopta Meopro Air or used Meopta Meostar.
I'll keep these in mind if I draw that elusive barbary tag!

My vote would be to include a tripod. You don’t need to spend a ton of money to get a good one (FWIW, I got mine from CameraLand NY...they were helpful and knew their stuff).

And on the glass front, give @schmalts a holler! I’m sure you will be pleasantly surprised after talking to him about options and associated prices (assuming what you want is in stock). I purchased a spotter from him recently and it was a great buying experience.

I skipped the tripod and use one of my trekking poles. It's not ideal, but it's not bad
and one less item to carry, or forget. I have 12 x 50 bino's, so steady on something
is a must

Last edited:
Couple sapling and some duct tape , before I pay $200+ for a tripod.
Glass is way more important.
But not $1000.00 important.
$300-500 is likely all anyone needs for binos.
I personally can't afford anything over a couple hundred bucks for glass.
But, I can't afford a sheep hunt either.

I guess I'll chime in and say I never used a tripod til 25 years ago to glass high country. Never needed it for shooting until I moved to long distance with no cover or supports handy, area. Now I walk around with one.

I have 2 tripods now and neither cost more than $150. Manfrotto's the old ones I have shot off of & Sirou is new one that I even run my lazer level off of now.

I only need optics when I try to hunt elk in the high country or when I need to find out where the antelope and deer are. However, arthritis and other health issues make it impossible for me to climb steep slopes anymore so unless there is a road to the top or close to it, I can't do it anymore.

As for quality optics and tripod, you get what you paid for. As much as that costs you want it to last multiple years. In the long run investment in quality tripods and optics is worth the investment.

I hunt mostly deer and antelope now and good binos do me a good job and I mount those to a tripod. Most of those are 50-100 yard targets but I do have occasions where I need to focus on 500 or more yards away. So in the long run, it is what your needs are. If you feel you need optics to look at long range targets go for ones that will last you a long time. Ones that will not fog up or leak in wet or balmy weather.

Last edited:
I would vote for the tripod as well. I have picked out an antler tip among tree branches. I don't think that I would have picked it up with freehanding.

I would have to agree with the guys about the tripod being a game changer when glassing with binos. As @Tradewind mentioned You can prop your binos on a trekking poles to help stabilize them, but not ideal for long glassing sessions. I would say buy a tripod first and see how that goes with your current set up before upgrading. Might buy you some time to save up some $$ and help you decide what route you want to go with you optics budget. Lots of options out there even with binos. But with optics and with most things you get what you pay for.
Would also mention that with the tripod lots of good options out there. Ball heads, pan head, carbon fiber, aluminum. Going to all depend on your hunting style and budget. Not sure if you plan to run a spotter on it as well, but if so make sure you get something that will support the weight of a spotter.

8X go for the best optics.
12X or 15X. Definitely a tripod

10X is the tweener, some argue either way.

Get the tag and go hunt you will figure it out. Don't be afraid to go pre owned

You can get some dang good steiners and still be able to afford a tripod for $1000.

Unless you want range finder with reticle.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back