Making Public Lands Public

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This week, Montana's sole Congressman, Steve Daines introduced a bill, H.R 3962, titled Making Public Lands Public.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr3962

I like that. Thanks to Congressman Daines.

DAINES INTRODUCES BILL TO IMPROVE MONTANA SPORTSMEN'S ACCESS TO PUBLIC LANDS
01/30/14

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Representative Steve Daines is continuing his fight to protect and preserve Montana's outdoors heritage by working toward bipartisan solutions that promote access to public lands for Montana sportsmen.

A priority for Daines, an avid sportsman and member of the bipartisan Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, has been to improve the federal government's stewardship of our public lands. Following meetings last week with Montana sportsmen groups, Daines introduced H.R. 3962, the Making Public Lands Public Access Act, to utilize Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) monies to increase Montanans' opportunities to enjoy hunting, fishing and outdoor recreation through greater access to public lands.

"As a fifth-generation Montanan and sportsman, I know the importance of protecting and preserving Montana's outdoors heritage,Daines stated. "Hunting, fishing, and hiking on our public lands are important parts of many Montanans' way of life, and traditions I've enjoyed sharing with my kids. But almost 2 million acres of public lands in Montana are inaccessible to the public."

"This is unacceptable. I strongly believe we must ensure the public has access to the public lands we already have,Daines continued. "There is strong, bipartisan agreement that the Land and Water Conservation Fund can play an important role in increasing access to these lands. That's what the Making Public Lands Public Access Act will do. My bill seeks to increase Montanans' opportunities to enjoy outdoor recreation and ensure that our public lands truly are public."

Last week, Daines met with Montana sportsmen and representatives from Ducks Unlimited, the Mule Deer Foundation, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Pheasants Forever, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, and Boone and Crockett to discuss the importance of LWCF and ways to allow for greater access to Montana's public lands.

Daines' bill directs the Departments of Agriculture and the Interior to use at least 1.5 percent of LWCF resources each year to improve access to existing public lands, through projects like easements and rights of way coordinated with willing sellers. A similar provision is included in S. 1660, the SPORT Act, a measure cosponsored by Montana Senator Jon Tester.

Daines' bill and continued efforts to increase Montanans' access to public lands has received strong support from numerous Montana sportsmen and conservation groups.

"As an avid hunter and outdoorsman, Representative Daines knows how important access is to sportsmen. Montana is like many western states where there are large tracts of public lands that are now blocked by private lands and too many hunters are finding closed gates cutting off access to areas where they used to hunt,commented Miles Moretti, President of the Mule Deer Foundation.

"Sportsmen and women want the Forest Service and BLM to provide better access to our national forests and BLM lands for hunting and fishing. Congressman Daines is tackling this problem head on with this bill,said Bill Demmer, president of the Boone and Crockett Club. Additionally, Demmer praised Daines for "his deep commitment to enhancing hunting opportunities on our public lands.

"American hunters and anglers continually cite that access to our public land resources needs to be improved,added Melissa Simpson, Director of Government Affairs and Science Based Conservation for the Safari Club. "Congressman Daines' introduction of the Making Public Lands Public legislation takes a decisive step to open millions of acres for recreation. We are grateful to Congressman Daines who continues the fight to protect our freedom to hunt.

"Nearly half of all hunters conduct a portion of their hunting activity on public lands and lack of access is cited as the primary reason that hunters, anglers and target shooters stop participating in these traditional activities,said Larry Keane, National Shooting Sports Foundation senior vice president and general counsel. "Opening access to the public lands that U.S. citizens own is not only vital to preserving America's sporting heritage, but it will also serve to benefit the economy.

Congressman Daines certainly deserves a big Kudos for introducing this bill in the House. Senator Tester has pushed this same legislation in the Senate for a few years now, but with Daines on board, it increases the chances of passage. This bill would very much increase access to landlocked public land.

But while this bill is great and I support it 110%, we still need to focus on getting the Land & Water Conservation fund Re-authorized and fully funded.

Hopefully the Congressman continues his support of LWCF and takes up that fight as well. Otherwise, this is just like having bullets but no powder.

It would be great to finally get something done about the BullWhacker access issue. 238 sections of prime BLM land shut off,

It would be great to finally get something done about the BullWhacker access issue. 238 sections of prime BLM land shut off,

They aren't shut off...completely. I hiked in there just fine. Couldn't take my pickup, but on foot or horseback you're good to go. That being said, it sucks Wilks' crew can still drive in, and it takes some serious hiking to get to a lot of that area.

They aren't shut off...completely. I hiked in there just fine. Couldn't take my pickup, but on foot or horseback you're good to go. That being said, it sucks Wilks' crew can still drive in, and it takes some serious hiking to get to a lot of that area.

Can you still get in there from the west side via 4 whlr on the 2 track road?

This is a really great opportunity for sportsmen to get involved and support Rep. Daines LCWF bill. While the announcement from Daines focused on the benefits to Montana, this is a national fund that could and would be used by many states to help open up access to public lands. Rep. Daines and Senator Testor are making a real effort to address access issues facing sportsmen.

I am surprised at how few comments have been posted to this thread. This issue is more important than muzzle loader seasons, use of crossbows and the many other topics that elicit lots of responses.

Both Daines bill and Tester's will take a lot of sportsmen involvement to get them thru Congress.

Another thing that happened in LWCF this week: Senator Tester led a contingent to call for full funding and re-authorization. The Tester/Daines/Heinrich effort to get 1.5% for LWCF means little if there's no LWCF or funding.

1551641_604280736311576_511708381_n.jpg

I'm in. Will be contacting my Senators, Warner and Kaine and my Representative Griffith. I expect support from my Senators, but not my Representative, hope he surprises me though.

Last edited:
Great news! Now if only congress can get over their constant bickering and get these bills passed.

If nothing else, this bill keeps some public awareness of this issue moving forward. Without allowances for oil, timber, and mining access, the bill will never make it out of committee, let alone get Boehner to allow it on the floor for a full House vote. Some version it of probably could pass both houses, but not without those additions. Rehberg never would have introduced a bill like this, so Daines deserves credit for his efforts.

Sportsmen should be encouraging support of both Daine's bill and Tester's. It only takes a few minutes to call or email your Sens. and Reps. Please help. Complacency is our enemy!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back