Making old stuff work.

OntarioHunter

Yesterday hunting pheasants in brutal conditions my trigger finger was frost bit. I lost one glove the other day when I dropped it to shoot the third bird of a triple. But those lightly insulated leather things wouldn't help in these conditions anyway. Couldn't find anything I liked in the stores here so I made something up from a couple of old pairs. I cut the finger spreaders out of a great 1980s pair of fleece glomitts and then sewed the finger openings together as one large opening. Pushed a pair of wool hunting mitts with separate shooting fingers into the glommitts for insulation. My hands stayed toasty today! I plan to cut a slit in the trigger finger of the right wool glove to allow my naked finger to slip through when the dogs are birdy. I'll darn around the edges of slit to keep it from fraying. Something like a giant buttonhole. The nice thing about these is I can pull the trigger finger outside the glommitt flap as needed while keeping the rest of the fingers inside for warmth.

The whistle I bought here at a second hand store last week. The orange plastic one I have used for ten years fell apart. This is a nickle plated brass RK Bird police whistle probably from the thirties or older. Not for weather this cold but when weather is bad I leave the Britt in the vehicle. She's the only one who needs it. I braided the lanyard from nylon clothesline. The knife is a 1930s KaBar 4" drop point I bought off eBay back in the 1990s. It replaces my dad's KaBar that was stolen from the truck while I was hunting circa 1981. A Havre cobbler made the sheath. The A-5 Magnum Twelve shotgun was made in 1961 with a 1990s choke tube barrel. I switched it to plastic about seven years ago. Went through two sets of wood before going to synthetic. 20221110_201749.jpg

Last edited:
And this is the boot dryer I made from some extra plumbing ABS pipe and a cheap Walmart hair dryer. Somewhere I lost an aerator tube (with holes in it) so I taped an opening closed temporarily and just dry one boot at a time. Works great. Don't turn the hair dryer to hottest setting. The pipe will melt and glued on soles come loose from boots. Also, the U-bolts was a dumb idea. Just drill holes through the board and screw the pipe to it from bottom.20221110_201937.jpg20221110_201957.jpg

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back