Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Make a knife

jo3hunter

I got an antler that just feels right when u hold it was looking to make a skinning knife out of it using this for the handle looking for any thoughts recommendations on doing it myself or having some one do it

You can find knife blanks and fittings, as well as some information on making a knife handle at
www.ragweedforge.com

There are a number of videos and tutorials online that you can find by searching for "making an antler knife handle". Antlers don't work very well for full tang knife handles because you have to shape the antler to the tang. You can use antler material, but it won't look like an antler when you are done. Partial tang knife tangs can be embedded in antlers and this appears to be the most common. Partial tang knife blanks can be found online . MORA knife blanks are fairly common, but may not suit your plans.

Side note, I have ordered several knives and a Viking ax from them and their service is great. Also, if you are looking for a wicked sharp and cheap knife check out the Mora Knives.

If you are going to do it yourself then look at Jantz knife making they have all of the blades, pins etc. If you want someone else to make the knife for you pm me.

Another option for a knife blank is USA Knife Makers. They have blanks in a variety of sizes/styles that are already heat treated and sharpened. They also sell everything else you would need to put it together using the antler you have.

As a knife maker, I suggest if you decide to make it yourself grab some extra wood and practice drilling out the integral recess, buy/make a broaching tool and have at it. It would suck to ruin your antler by making a mistake the first time around.

Buying a finished blank from already mentioned supply stores is a good route if you haven't made a blade yet from stock removal or forging. It should come heat treated and ready to epoxy in place.

If you youtube hoffman blacksmithing ( I am not affiliated) he has a really good video on how to drill/finish an integral handle.

As a knife maker, I suggest if you decide to make it yourself grab some extra wood and practice drilling out the integral recess, buy/make a broaching tool and have at it. It would suck to ruin your antler by making a mistake the first time around.

Buying a finished blank from already mentioned supply stores is a good route if you haven't made a blade yet from stock removal or forging. It should come heat treated and ready to epoxy in place.

If you youtube hoffman blacksmithing ( I am not affiliated) he has a really good video on how to drill/finish an integral handle.
What he said.

I will add, however, that you may do well to surf ebay for old, junk knives in need of help. They are a great source for a good blade once you learn a bit about the various brands out there. I have rebuilt a number of Edge Brand knives with completely different types of handles and much enjoyed it. Their steel is excellent and their blade shapes tend to work for me.

A real knife maker starts with a slab of steel (or maybe a hunk of iron ore) and goes at it. That's a bit out of my league. But I do envy a guy that made a Viking ulfberht sword from effectively raw materials. Best hour I ever spent watching videos

A word of caution if you buy a blank: a hardened and tempered blank means drilling a hole for a pin will range from difficult to impossible.

If you decide to buy some bar stock and make your own knife, you can send it off for heat treatment at a variety of different places. I just got three blades back from TruGrit out in California. They charge $10 per blade. Took them about 2 weeks to to process my order, but overall it was a simple process.

Texas knife maker supply has some good stuff and I think they do heat treating if you need it. Plenty of videos out there. I tried using some cheaper material as a practice run first. Would hate to lose the nice piece.

But a word of caution... it can get quite addicting.

My first knife I made about 2.5 years ago from an old sawmill blade of 8670 steel, some 50 year old walnut and little bitty 1x30 belt grinder.

IMG_3248.JPG

And fast forward to last night and I am now forging my own Damascus by hand ( not forge press) have knives on display at two store fronts and have a 6 month back log of work. Unfortunately I have a day job that pays insurance or I would be in the shop every day all day.
damascus finished.jpg

Last edited:
Ditto what Hornet said, it can get out of hand quickly.

Nice work Hornet, I love that handle. I've dipped my toe into some low layer Damascus and it's a whole new experience.

I made a low layer billet before Christmas and made my wife a pendant from it. Think it turned out ok.

Attachments

• Billet.JPG
    Billet.JPG
    607.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Pendant.JPG
    Pendant.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 6
NM Guy that is badass man!

Mine was 9 layers, drawn out and cut into 3 pieces, restacked and drawn out again for a total of 27 layers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back