Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Maine moose

.270Rem

My Father is joining a friend who has a Maine bull tag and they leave Sat. Hunt starts on Mon and they will be West of Ashland in the North Maine Woods. Dad will be on his third moose hunt, first time as an observer, and I hope he enjoys it since at 84 he deserves light duty on this one.

Tom has several New England moose tags to his credit and I hope he can tag a decent bull. Can't believe i got my chance in Maine and that 25 years have passed since that tag.

Good luck to the hunters!! Looking forward to their story. I've been part of a few moose hunts (both as a permitee and a helper)now and they are some of my favorite hunting memories.

I hunted that exact area in 2018 with a cow moose tag. Tagged out opening day with a big mature cow. It was an awesome hunt. I had a great time and I'm sure he will too!

My Father is joining a friend who has a Maine bull tag and they leave Sat. Hunt starts on Mon and they will be West of Ashland in the North Maine Woods. Dad will be on his third moose hunt, first time as an observer, and I hope he enjoys it since at 84 he deserves light duty on this one.

Tom has several New England moose tags to his credit and I hope he can tag a decent bull. Can't believe i got my chance in Maine and that 25 years have passed since that tag.
Number one hunt on my bucket list is a river float moose hunt. Hopefully in Alaska! Good luck with yours.

I doubt I ever draw Maine, felt like I was getting close and they they decided to sell blocks of chances for extra coin. Not even sure it worth the donation at this point. NH at one point I had about a 1 in 14 chance of drawing… then the tag cut back and I am at about 1-400

Good luck on the hunt, hopefully they kill a good one. This summer running hounds I seen two good bulls that should be knocking on the door of B&C in my favorite Maine unit.

Well, the hunt lasted til about 7 on the first morning. Their guide had them in a spot where he thought his calls would work and his idea was a smart one. His calls brought in a cow and the bull followed her in. Tom hit him hard at 150 yards and he walked off a little ways so he gave him a second round that dropped him.

I still haven't seen a pic yet since my Dad hasn't sent me one, but I will share once I have it in hand. The trip to the check station showed a dressed weight just over 700 lbs. and it had 14 points. I don't think it was quite as large as had hoped for, but he sounded very pleased when we spoke on their trip home. They also reported three grouse crossed paths with them the second day so they got some white meat too.

That corner of Maine is a special place. Congrats to your dad and his partner.

My dad is a native Maineiac (hasn't lived east of Nevada since 1974), and when we both took up hunting about 6 years ago, I dreamed of taking him on a Maine moose hunt. That is obviously really unlikely now, but I love to hear about people getting the chance. I've never even been to Maine despite my family having roots there and many relatives still living way up north in Maine and New Brunswick.

Well, the hunt lasted til about 7 on the first morning. Their guide had them in a spot where he thought his calls would work and his idea was a smart one. His calls brought in a cow and the bull followed her in. Tom hit him hard at 150 yards and he walked off a little ways so he gave him a second round that dropped him.

I still haven't seen a pic yet since my Dad hasn't sent me one, but I will share once I have it in hand. The trip to the check station showed a dressed weight just over 700 lbs. and it had 14 points. I don't think it was quite as large as had hoped for, but he sounded very pleased when we spoke on their trip home. They also reported three grouse crossed paths with them the second day so they got some white meat too.
Do you happen to know the name of the guide? And congrats to the hunter!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back