Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Maine moose results available

I was lucky to take part in the tail end of the golden era of Western hunting, build preference points in 8 states, and buy an Illinois LL back in the day. By doing so I still have decent hunts every year. Although I must navigate through the never ending point cheapening schemes. Maine has a long history of running off folks who buy into their latest tag distribution jokes. You are definitely correct in awarding them most off-the-wall system. And I’m quite sure they don’t want any of us point buyers to know how bad they made the odds. I used to have some outdoor writer links documenting the state’s fiascos, but all expired.
I looked at applying in Maine but the black box aspect didn't sit well with me... also the fact that some dude with a pile of money could just buy 2000 points every year.

I looked at applying in Maine but the black box aspect didn't sit well with me... also the fact that some dude with a pile of money could just buy 2000 points every year.
No worry. Once they see newbie’s money walking away they will likely be the first state to completely eliminate NR points, totally screwing point holders. That legislative bunch has no morals nor ethics. Then you can reassess your decision.

I wish they published the draw statistics just so we'd have a picture of what we're up against. You always hear about guys drawing by sheer luck in the first couple years, but I wonder how many people are applying with 100 points, buying extra chances, and still not drawing. It's easy (and usually appropriate) to hate on some of the draws in the west, but Maine has got them beat for most off-the-wall system for sure.
They don't want you to know is my guess. Last published numbers I seen were by hunting fool. Don't quote me but I'm wanting to say that was 10 or so years ago and over 35,000 chances were purchased by NR for about 300 tags then. My guess is it's even more now like other States.

Sadly odds are you never will, the moose odds there are much much worse than it appears. The 10 pack unlimited purchases, squared points, outfitter tags, fewer tags has all killed those odds. I know of guys that have applied over 40 years without a tag. Somehow I drew a cow tag on year 1 of applying and ate it.

And then there’s my buddy who’s drawn three nonresident moose tags in the last 25 years

And then there’s my buddy who’s drawn three nonresident moose tags in the last 25 years
I've had a buddy that's drawn 3 bull tags as well think he stacks the odds with buying a ton of 10 chance packets. So everyone isn't on the same level there based on how much money you want to throw down.

They don't want you to know is my guess. Last published numbers I seen were by hunting fool. Don't quote me but I'm wanting to say that was 10 or so years ago and over 35,000 chances were purchased by NR for about 300 tags then. My guess is it's even more now like other States.
That seems way better than I would expect actually.

If that is the case like $3000 is going to get you 99% odds.

A CO tag costs $2300 + Points($100) so if it takes you 20 years to draw = $4300

Similar with WY and MT.

So if you want to hunt moose just pony up a couple grand a year and sounds like you will go hunting.

I think max point holders who aren't buying extra points are below 10% draw odds.
I am a NR max point holder and once tried to calculate my odds. It came out to like 4% but I doubt it’s even that high. That was prior to 20% outfitter welfare and their last odds watering down scheme. However, I’m playin with house money as I beat 1% odds and drew neighboring New Hampshire in 2012, scoring a stud. I’d let my youngest nephew shoot my ME bull anyway. Got two who are residents and do expect to go for a cow hunt someday soon. More looking forward to that.

drew neighboring New Hampshire in 2012

I drew Vermont in my 3rd year applying - that was 2007 or so (need to find the pictures) - got real lucky
likely I'll never draw Maine - did go help a buddy back in 2017 on his 3rd (yes 3rd!!) Maine moose tag,,, lucky man!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back