Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Madison Range 362

Pagosa

Does anyone know how the elk herds are doing the southern end of the Madison Range; bull/cow ratio, objective numbers, etc? And how bad is the hunter pressure during the late season periods? If you cross-country up hill and stay close to the private can you locate bulls/cows? I have heard that on weekends the few parking lots fill up fast, and the hunter pressure can be heavy around trailheads. Thanks for the any information and happy Thanksgiving.

One day a couple of years ago I counted about 15 vehicles at the Papoose Creek trailhead.

This year I counted 22 trucks and 3 horse trailers. I was able to find the one bull I killed on the block Management SW of Papoose. I spent 2 days due South of Papoose by accessing thru the walk in BMA, it’s a long walk but we saw elk every day. Another group killed 2 nice bulls in there as well but they were high. Plan on walking a lot or bivy camp it to save your legs.

Just got back to SD from there tonight. Papoose had 16 trucks and nine horse trailers there midday tues but we managed to cut two fresh elk tracks and spook two raghorns to a couple gents from boseman who took one of them on the flats. several tracks and more hunters but beautiful country to hike.

Lots of hunters..lots of animals. We are at 9 so far this year for 360-362. 4 bulls 5 cows with one tag left to fill for the family and friends that hunt with me. In general the later in the season the better but it gets really easy when the snow falls.

we also hunted beaver creek about ten miles to the south of papoose and seen more griz tracks than elk tracks so be aware!

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I will probably not be hunting the Pioneers next year, due to missing the opener. The Madison Range always seem like a good place (I like steep terrain) and I know back in the early 2000's it held lots of elk, but the migratory herd was greatly reduced. I will probably be hunting later in the season next year due to projects and may try spending a few days in 362. Good luck to those that still have unfilled tags.

29 trucks at the papoose trailhead yesterday. It's the most crowded place I've ever seen. It's impossible to get away from other hunters on foot.

The mountains are calling and people had to go.
Our great technological advancement has made it more possible for a lot more people to receive the call.
As an "outdoorsman", I am very glad to be 55 years old.............

29 trucks at the papoose trailhead yesterday. It's the most crowded place I've ever seen. It's impossible to get away from other hunters on foot.

It is if you’re trying to hunt the expressway from Jellystone to the Sun Ranch at the end of the season.

thanks........I'll avoid this area next year as it will be the new parking lot for Papoose Cr overflow

There were prob 15 rigs at the Papoose trailhead on Friday another 8-10 at the southern BM land, 5-6 at the airport and a steady stream of rd hunters all around. What im saying is that area is popular

I hunted papoose and a couple nearby drainages several days last week and if you are willing to work for it you can definitely get away from hunters. Yes there were probably 10-15 truck and 3 horse trailers, but most of those people don't go more than 3-4 miles in. A buddy and I glassed three huge bulls way up in the mountains and what ensued was a 16 mile day in knee-waist deep snow with 4k vertical climbing. We were near the bulls all day and it was one of my favorite days of hunting yet. Only company up there was the elk and a mountain goat. We never saw a single hunter until the hike back to the car.

Anywhere in the southern Madison Range, a 16 mile in and out and hike puts you inserting yourself into the very heads of the drainages (or beyond).
Anywhere you climb almost 4000 feet from the valley floor (+/- 6000') puts you at or near the summits of the majority of the peaks (unless of course you're hunting on top of Echo, Hilgard, Dutchman, etc. in late November). Add this to knee to waste deep snow - all in one day.
Impressive work.

Anywhere in the southern Madison Range, a 16 mile in and out and hike puts you inserting yourself into the very heads of the drainages (or beyond).
Anywhere you climb almost 4000 feet from the valley floor (+/- 6000') puts you at or near the summits of the majority of the peaks (unless of course you're hunting on top of Echo, Hilgard, Dutchman, etc. in late November). Add this to knee to waste deep snow - all in one day.
Impressive work.

Yep, the trailhead at Papoose is over 6,100'. I didn't think the elk would be at or above 10,000' this time of year.

Impressive work.
He did the papoose, west beaver, sentinel, expedition pass and upper squaws traverse day loop. I used to November day hunt that after a big snow dump.:rolleyes:

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back