Lunch meats

jerm8352

My goal this year is to actually fill some tags and have enough meat to not only feed the family dinner for the year but to make my own "lunch meats". I am tired of buying that stuff for sandwiches and lunch at work when I don't have leftovers. Anybody else do anything like this? Just make some summer sausage and make sandwiches? Jerky sandwiches? I have a grinder with a sausage attachment thing and make snack sticks but haven't delved into much else. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a buddy in PA that gets a half a deer made into lunch meat every year. I do not know the recipe but it's just like lunch meat just made of deer. Man is it freaking awesome.

I have made deer pastrami and corned beef before. Lots of time do sandwiches out of the leftover roast

Sure wouldn’t want to make a habit of eating bunch of fat added
meat sandwich every day when all I Gotta do is cook up an elk/deer/lope steak or roast then slice it and put it on the sandwich.

Why does it need to be “lunch meat”. ?Which I take to mean “crap added”

That’s kinda my point. I want better stuff for my lunches. Just looking for some suggestions besides leftovers. Thanks for all the replies.

I have done corned deer brisket. Been meaning to do a pastrami. I bought a book on making salami. Maybe this year I will do that? It always sounds good but it will be labor intensive, and that’s what stops me from doing it. Plus you will need to add beef fat to your mix. Pork fat will go rancid relatively fast from what I understand.

I tend to like my game meat to stand on its own without adding a bunch of stuff to it. So I usually do steaks and eat the leftovers for lunch.

Pastrami is amazing got my recipe off bowsite. Summer sausage is good for sandwiches too.

There's a processor 50 miles west (Bayco, Seymour, TX) of us that does killer jalapeno and cheese elk/deer summer sausage.

My go to "lunch meat" is whatever we had for dinner the night before; meatloaf sandwiches, venison roast sandwiches, etc. One thing that I do crave every once in a while is something my grandmother used to make. She'd take left over roast (and it works best on a way overcooked roast) and grind it with some chunks of cheese and pickles, then mix mayo up with it. Basically a tuna salad/chicken salad recipe but with left over roast.

I love it, but can't get myself to overcook (*ruin*) a venison roast to make it... beef on the other hand, I'll do it just for the sandos.

I've smoked turkey breasts for lunch meat. I've done corned deer and smoked elk roasts for lunch meat also. I've even brined wild boar rear leg muscles and smoked them for ham lunch meat. My slicer gets a workout a couple of times a year.

I like to make pulled venison bbq. I freeze it up in small vacpacks and then use it for sandwiches. I plan on grabbing all the shanks the other guys are tossing to coyotes and making up a big batch of bbq meat. I should have a good years supply. Some aint figured out shanks and necks are great eating. Rib rolls should make good bbq as well.

Bresaola. No added fat, makes dynamite sammiches or great on its own, and you can make SOS with the little busted pieces left over at the bottom of the bag. It is absolutely the best way to use up the "football roasts", or round tip, from a deer. All that connective tissue doesn't matter when you are slicing it paper-thin across the grain.

Otherwise, summer sausage or sliced cold venison roast with just butter, salt and pepper, and a modest slab of Gouda cheese on white bread.

Dang, now I'm hungry and the freezer is down to just that beef stuff.

I've corned deer hind quarters and roasts from larger game for pastrami. Also whole hind quarters rubbed on the outside and smoked are an excellent sub for "roast beef". If it isnt cured, you just have to be careful how long the portions hang around in the fridge. If you slice them then vacuum pack into manageable packs it isnt a problem.

I have cured whole ribeyes using the recipe below. They are amazing. But I'm not sure how something as lean as venison would turn out. I'd be willing to try it with a large roast to see.

Thanks for all the help. I do not add any fat to my meat. I make snack sticks all the time and do not add any. If I start making summer sausage and salami will I have to add fat or anything?

There arae tons of recipes on line for venison bologna. My neighbor used to make it, don't expect it to look like Oscar Meyer!

🍻

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back