Made sourdough pancakes
Cleaned my bike
Picked up two months worth of dog shit
Replaced a turn signal bulb
Packed to go hunting again
Drove down to REI for boot waterproofing
Applied said waterproofing
Am getting ready to transition from coffee to beer

......and the only thing Doug/Dale can write is a reference justification for an effenheimer?

We might need to fire up a goon squad for other reasons.

Since I’ve got up I’ve
Drank a pot of coffee
Went for a mountain bike ride
Made sourdough pancakes
Cleaned my bike
Picked up two months worth of dog shit
Replaced a turn signal bulb
Packed to go hunting again
Drove down to REI for boot waterproofing
Applied said waterproofing
Am getting ready to transition from coffee to beer

......and the only thing Doug/Dale can write is a reference justification for an effenheimer?

We might need to fire up a goon squad for other reasons.

I kinda came in guns blazing on this one. Idk if I can keep it going...

day 2

after a few hrs of sleep I woke up, listened to jimmy snoring, tossed and turned and waited for the sun to come up.

I knew we’d set up under the power lines, but they didn’t.
“well shit we’re right under these big ole power lines. I didn’t even notice that last night”-jimmy

*this is kinda funny because jimmy has a pretty legit house under some massive power lines so I was like
“yeah dude, no wonder you were snoring. It’s just like home!”

What I didn’t notice in the darkness, just beyond the power poles was a giant sign with an arrow on it pointing the way of the trail.
Basically we were set up right in the middle of a big switchback in the trail.
like I think we were the mandatory distance from the trail.
Isn’t it like 150ft or something?
But we were definitely visible to anyone hiking the trail and that’s not the point of backcountry camping. Lol
so we ran back to the car, ate breakfast, chatted with some locals who said
“you guys are our hero’s, nothing about winter camping sounds appealing to me” 😏
and then walked back in to load up our camps.

Renan went back to the car to rest and warm up while jimmy and I went out to scout for a new spot.
Due to the topography and rather open what I believe to be called rolling sage hills of this country we were unable to find a secluded spot that would be easily accessible after a long day of charging golden pow pow so we headed back to the red rocket and set off to check out some of my plan B spots.

The first one was packed, damn.
The second one was wide open.
jimmy and I agreed to Sherpa for Renan for the remainder of the trip so we strapped on our packs and snow shoes, Renan just his shoes and stepped upward into the great unknown. (No real trail at this location)

we plowed deep into the rugged gore range. 300yds as the line drop feature on onX fly’s and maybe 300-400ft upwards.
But it was winding and twisty and through some blow down so it felt and was a bit longer.
I had gone ahead of the group to find a suitable spot and boy did I.
A beautiful, flat, open park/bench concealed, as far as I could tell on all sides from the eyes of pesky onlookers.
I ran down, grabbed jimmy and Renan and headed back up.
I received some resistance from them on the way back to the perfect spot. They wanted to set camp up immediately on the edge of the timber where the snow that had barely concealed all the blown down trees would surely melt away and leave you with a branch poking through the floor of the tent and into your ribs at some point during the night.
but after some debate I was able to convince them to walk 50 more yards to the beautifully flat and soft grasslands.

jimmy and Renan began stomping down the snow and I headed back down to the car to grab Renans stuff.
At this point I decided to move the car to a closer, more concealed spot a couple hundred yards up a snow covered, rutted up road.
I dropped the jeep into 4L, watched the digital dash display all of the words that are gonna come back to bite me in the ass in 5 years or so “electronic traction control disabled” “electronic stability control disabled” “electronic... disabled” and plowed up the road. I had to take a couple stabs at it, but the voyage to the higher, closer and more secluded parking spot was rather uneventful. (Whew, thank god! Lord knows that thing’s financed) (I knew it was a good investment!)
When I got back I did kinda Welch on a deal with jimmy that I would make any needed trips back to the car if we forgot anything, but he should’ve remembered his damn coat!
pretty sure he walked and skied step for step with me the whole trip so that was cool. 👍

we got camp set up, built a fire courtesy of the pine Beatles, ate mountain house and tried to stay warm.
At several points through the night I’m pretty sure I was just standing in the fire to keep warm.
We boiled snow over the fire in our cook pots for drinking water and it wasn’t too bad that night, but sob that stuff tasted Smokey in the morning.

we retired to our tents, got all tangled up in our 4 layer sleep systems and tried to get some rest as we listened to the occasional patter of sweet pow pow coming down on our tents.

*winter camping tip- packable rain pants make fine snow pants.

2928EFB0-87AF-4527-884A-7664E387773B.jpeg
0877E0C6-DB2D-472F-8250-C5D84EC07A19.jpeg

CE7C7E6D-4ACE-4D10-962D-84C612FA0960.jpeg
3AE2F267-02C6-43FE-A429-3C54ECCF6ACA.jpeg

6513183F-BE5B-4706-99B7-F1198287A8D5.jpeg
F584F3CA-D821-4863-82BB-3007867BF091.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON