Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Looks great! Little full… Lotta sap…

My son and I scouted last Friday and will be headed out this Saturday. We put rubber to asphalt and boots on the ground. We're feeling pretty confident in the spots we found so don't be surprised if I brag a little bit in Saturdays post. This will be all public still pissed they rape and pillage me for $7.50 for the tag tho.

Boy 2 has a raging double ear infection and Ma doesn't want to make him sit in the pickup for the few hour drive back and forth to get a wild tree, as he is pretty irritable. Going to see if I can recruit Boy 1 (3 years old) to sign on for the trip. Otherwise, I'm afraid we'll be going domestic. :rolleyes:

Boy 2 has a raging double ear infection and Ma doesn't want to make him sit in the pickup for the few hour drive back and forth to get a wild tree, as he is pretty irritable. Going to see if I can recruit Boy 1 (3 years old) to sign on for the trip. Otherwise, I'm afraid we'll be going domestic. :rolleyes:
Oh bummer for the double ear infected boy. Find him a good tree poppa!!

You residents have it so good. With points creep and so many tags going to residents, you're really leaving the NR crowd out to dry. I was tired of waiting on that tree tag and depriving my family of a legitimate Christmas tree. I finally broke down. I found a picture of what I consider the perfect tree online (it's a quite famous tree, some of you may recognize it). I contacted a well known taxidermist, and had a replica done. I know some of you are against what I did, but put yourself in my shoes. You can't wait for 20 plus years to get that OIL tree tag and make your family do without. At least I didn't go to a tree farm and try to pass it off as a legitimate free range tree.

1701350109641.png

When I was a kid my mom had a thing for getting a cedar tree (more like a bush) off of our family’s place in the Texas Hillcountry. Not much of a trunk on them so a lot of digging n cursing by my pop. Anyone who knows the area….tons of rocks n not much dirt. To make the outing more “festive” one year….I; being maybe 5 or 6, thought it would be appropriate to get a big double handful of cedar thorns off the ground n dump it rt down the “plumber’s crack” of my pops!!! Oh boy!!!! The memories!!!

When I was a kid my mom had a thing for getting a cedar tree (more like a bush) off of our family’s place in the Texas Hillcountry. Not much of a trunk on them so a lot of digging n cursing by my pop. Anyone who knows the area….tons of rocks n not much dirt. To make the outing more “festive” one year….I; being maybe 5 or 6, thought it would be appropriate to get a big double handful of cedar thorns off the ground n dump it rt down the “plumber’s crack” of my pops!!! Oh boy!!!! The memories!!!
Just reading this made me sneeze and my eyes are itchy as hell.

When it comes to trees, I am a road-hunter through and through.

Switched it up and cut a Subalpine fir this year. With the lack of snow we were able to get up into country west of us that we typically don’t.

In his book, “The Beast God Forgot To Invent”, on Christmas Trees, Jim Harrison wrote:

“There are no perfect trees anymore than there are perfect human beings.”

Same goes for family pictures, but maybe not afternoons.

View attachment 303457

Your boys were clearly thrilled with the experience :ROFLMAO:

UPDATE: Just got a text from my wife who apparently has been using her entire day to decorate the tree - "I am being reminded why people cheat and use pre-lit, pre-decorated trees. I'm going to start drinking..."

Well, Boy 1 took no convincing to hop into the pickup for the 3 hour drive to cut a tree. His only stipulation was ear muffs because the sawzall was going to be loud. Touché.
I surprised him with a bag of donettes, and away we went. He did great on the ride and I put on the original version of The Grinch, to set the mood. I splurged and picked up two tags so we could hunt longer. Very happy with that choice. The little one will stay outside in a planter next to the bird feeders for habitat.
Also, hit the post on the initial cut. Only off about 3”. That’s what dads do.
IMG_0379.jpegIMG_0376.jpegIMG_0377.jpegIMG_0380.jpeg

Last edited:
Little full. Lotta sap. Wife was born on odd year so she picks on odd numbered years, myself on even since I was born on even. I like this one. This was first year I took a chainsaw, had to do a lil trimming but looks good now. Decorating today I’m sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpeg
    IMG_1201.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1202.jpeg
    IMG_1202.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
(Annual Hunt Talk Christmas Tree Thread)

We set out for new hunting grounds this morning. As usual, it was a sh*t show. Daughter wore her slip-on Vans instead of snow boots, son had to take a dump twice while we were out and lost his hat, I had to dig two holes in the frozen ground and find the missing hat, carrying a tree through deadfall… The usual. But we found a good one.

View attachment 303425

View attachment 303426

1701061470947-png.303427

Post up yours!
ya but you got a nice pic of Bachelor and the Three Sisters.

Sorry all but we do artificial trees. I know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back