Looking to get a Compound Bow

@RugerHawg413 what did you end up getting? I’m in a similar situation and super torn.
Unfortunately, I was unable to buy one so far, had a lot of things come up. But, I am still looking and I hope that you find one that fits you best. And when you do please tell me what you chose. Have a good one!

Lots of good bow manufacturers out there.
As mentioned, a used PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews will do you well.

After shooting them at the Harrisburg Outdoors Show, both my daughter & i ended up getting bows from APA.
Viper Air set to 50lb for me.
Mamba set to 50lb for my daughter.

Shoot what feels comfortable to you, and don't get hung up over the velocity ratings on the bows. Most likely your not going to end up with those velocities anyways.
Deer, elk & bear are taken with traditional bows every year.

Get arrows that are matched to your bow.
Ie 250, or 350 spline. Get on arrow manufacturers websites and check for the draw weight & actual velocity your shooting.

Lots of good bow manufacturers out there.
As mentioned, a used PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews will do you well.

After shooting them at the Harrisburg Outdoors Show, both my daughter & i ended up getting bows from APA.
Viper Air set to 50lb for me.
Mamba set to 50lb for my daughter.

Shoot what feels comfortable to you, and don't get hung up over the velocity ratings on the bows. Most likely your not going to end up with those velocities anyways.
Deer, elk & bear are taken with traditional bows every year.

Get arrows that are matched to your bow.
Ie 250, or 350 spline. Get on arrow manufacturers websites and check for the draw weight & actual velocity your shooting.
Thanks for the good info!

The APA are made in Canada. They are pretty much made to order, so there is a little wait on them. Also not every dealer has them. Had to go 40 miles to a dealer here in PA.
The rep from APA gave my daughter a smok'n deal though!
Free APA drop away rest & sights. (Over $200). So she got complete setup for price of just the bow.

If it's your first compound bow, shoot a few and get a "feel" for them. Visit a local pro-shop and test-drive a few. All major brands make great bows and you can find good package deals, as well. Once you decide on one, make sure the weight is such that you can draw it back without moving your bow arm up or struggle to get it to the breaking point for let-off. You have to be able to draw it gracefully. Every shop seems to stock a lot of 70# bows, which is an awful lot to draw when you've been sitting in a tree in sub-zero weather for four hours. A 50# compound will kill anything. Although, if heavier is no problem, go for it! Happy Huntin'!

I am starting to bow hunt this year and went with a PSE Drive, find a good archery shop and shoot a few, and go with what you like, you will see a difference between them, you can set up a couple different bows with the same sight, rest, poundage ect...and 1 will feel right.
Same here. I got my first bow last year a PSE Drive. I’ve since upgraded the rest to Ripcord Max, a new Bee Stinger and about to buy a new sight. Love my Drive. I found a n Archery Shop and the tech recommended it and set me up.

If you search well, you can often find a nearly new bow for about 1/2 the cost of new. Top ones in general are Matthews, Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt. Read the reviews, search Ebay, craigslist etc. See what the top rated 2018 and 19 bows were etc. You can get a lot more bow for the money buying used.
Amen to that. I have the oldest and crappiest bow at 3D league and I hold my own. Mathews q3 bought it used. Actually, most of my outdoor equip is used. Loyal goodwill shopper.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back