Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Looking to borrow a Chronograph- Central Iowa

Zootownelk

I don't shoot enough or reload to justify buying a chronograph at the moment, but I have a new Leupold CDS scope, and I'd like to send Leupold ballistics data for custom turret dial. I live in Ames, but could travel to pick it up and deliver it back. I would just need it for a morning. I'd appreciate any help. I've cross posted with Iowa Backcountry Hunters & Anglers as well as local chapter of Izaak Walton League with no responses yet.

If no chronograph, should I feel confident about going off the box data? I'm shooting Federal Premium 165gr. Partitions in .300wsm. Can't imagine shooting past 600 yards- and more than likely 500 would be absolute limit on elk size game.

A very tall target and a long distance range would be another way to solve the problem. Zero at 100yds and shoot it at distance and measure the difference. Back calculate the velocity using a ballistic app/solver.

I don't shoot enough or reload to justify buying a chronograph at the moment, but I have a new Leupold CDS scope, and I'd like to send Leupold ballistics data for custom turret dial. I live in Ames, but could travel to pick it up and deliver it back. I would just need it for a morning. I'd appreciate any help. I've cross posted with Iowa Backcountry Hunters & Anglers as well as local chapter of Izaak Walton League with no responses yet.

If no chronograph, should I feel confident about going off the box data? I'm shooting Federal Premium 165gr. Partitions in .300wsm. Can't imagine shooting past 600 yards- and more than likely 500 would be absolute limit on elk size game.

How did you contact the local Ikes members? Maybe put a sign up at the range asking for help and someone with a chrono could meet you there. Probably best on a week day when it's not likely to be busy.

How did you contact the local Ikes members? Maybe put a sign up at the range asking for help and someone with a chrono could meet you there. Probably best on a week day when it's not likely to be busy.
I contacted Ikes via their website, and they recommended posting on their facebook page. I'll need to ask whether or not I can post a sign at the range- good idea.

The range vulture is out Monday mornings at Hull shooting range in Oskie. I know that’s aways from Ames, but I bet he knows who has a chronograph if he doesn’t have one himself. The Mahaska county Dnr officer probably knows his name and phone #

Or buy a Magneto for under $200, collect the velocity data you need, and resell it. Heck, if you list it for the amount you bought it for minus what you're willing to pay to rent one I bet you'd have no trouble selling it.

Or take a tall target somewhere you can shoot to 300+ yds and just gather the data... ;)

Or buy a Magneto for under $200, collect the velocity data you need, and resell it. Heck, if you list it for the amount you bought it for minus what you're willing to pay to rent one I bet you'd have no trouble selling it.

Or take a tall target somewhere you can shoot to 300+ yds and just gather the data... ;)
Long ranges are hard to come by here.

Long ranges are hard to come by here.
Even with velocity data from a chronograph to provide Leupold, I'd be hesitant to shoot at a critter at 500-600yds using a CDS dial (which is only good for about a 5000' elevation range) without shooting it at distance to verify.

Meaning, without access to a range to practice at the ranges I'm wanting to shoot to, I'd be hard pressed to use the CDS dial as intended. YMMV...

Even with velocity data from a chronograph to provide Leupold, I'd be hesitant to shoot at a critter at 500-600yds using a CDS dial (which is only good for about a 5000' elevation range) without shooting it at distance to verify.

Meaning, without access to a range to practice at the ranges I'm wanting to shoot to, I'd be hard pressed to use the CDS dial as intended. YMMV...
Yeah, I would test it before I attempted that kind of shot. There are ranges that I'll have access to before I hunt that have 500 yard ranges, but they are not convenient for where I live.

I contacted Ikes via their website, and they recommended posting on their facebook page. I'll need to ask whether or not I can post a sign at the range- good idea.
I live in the area (near Story C), and I'm an Ikes member (both ranges). I have a chrony. You can borrow it. But it may not work. Been a while since I used it.

I don't think you are going going about your quest in quite the right way, but if you want to borrow it you are welcome to try it.

From experience, chronys are a whole bunch easier to use at the Indian Creek Ikes vs the Ames Ikes.

BTW, Indian Creek will reach 300

Last edited:
Thanks- I just ended up sending Leupold the factory data. They thought with the ranges I was wanting and for a hunting application, it should not be an issue. If I'm not getting the results I want, I'll look back into getting a chronograph and another dial. Appreciate the feedback. Good to know about Indian Creek Ikes!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back