Looking for salami recipe for deer, antelope and elk

WyoDoug

Anyone got a good salami recipe for use with sausage stuffers? I used to have one my dad used when he was still around. I want to make a bunch of salami this year.

Here is my grandmother's recipe.

4 lbs ground meat, minimum 25% fat
1/4 cup curing salt (We use Morton Tender Quick)
2 tbsp liquid smoke - Wright's brand or similar, not one with tomato or other ingredients
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp black pepper

Mix completely. Cover and chill 24 hours before forming into salami. Bake at 225˚ for 4 hours.

I like things less salty and more spicy, so I came up with these changes.

Reduce curing salt to 3 Tbsp
Double the garlic to 1 Tbsp
Double the black pepper to 1 Tbsp, using freshly crushed peppercorns
Add 1 tsp chipotle powder
Add 1 Tbsp chili powder or crushed dried poblano peppers

I prefer to cook in my smoker instead of an oven when possible.

Last edited:
Hi mountain original salami. Everyone I give some to loves it. The only thing I tweak on it is instead of the 18# it shows the recipe, I mix all the seasoning with 20# of meat (9# fatty pork trim, 9# wild game, and 2# beef fat). You'll need 2 or 3 extra casings for 20#. Then just follow their directions. Excellent!

Pretty close to the first one above but I've tweeked it a bit... Very good straight out of the oven and great with cheese and crackers with hot mustard.

4 lbs burger
1-t garlic pwdr
1t mustard seeds
2 T morton tender quick
4T liquid smoke
2t fresh garlic
2t blk pepper
2t whole peppercorns
1/2 cup chopped jalopenos
1/2 cup high temp cheese cubes, cheddar or pepper jack

Bake at 350 in a meatloaf style log of your choice in size until about 170, drain and slice

If you make large batches and stuff/smoke/freeze you will find that the frozen storage really detracts from the product

Hi mountain original salami. Everyone I give some to loves it. The only thing I tweak on it is instead of the 18# it shows the recipe, I mix all the seasoning with 20# of meat (9# fatty pork trim, 9# wild game, and 2# beef fat). You'll need 2 or 3 extra casings for 20#. Then just follow their directions. Excellent!

I made some of this over the weekend with my hunting partner. How do you store it? The directions are contradictory and my understanding is salami is not meant to be frozen. Currently it’s hanging to loose it’s 25% weight in a 48-50 degree garage. Once it’s there what do you do?

C011D732-D2B1-4E38-8220-223EE21EB802.jpeg

Once it's cured, I would get rolls of sealmeal bags and vacumn seal and freeze. You will prolly have to cut those in half to fit the freezer.

Check out PS seasonings on the web. It's one of the biggest suppliers to commercial processing places.

Hi Country seasonings in Lincoln Montana makes some great stuff.

Probably a stupid question but how do you not freeze it if you make 20-30lbs. of meat? That amount of meat in the fridge is unrealistic at my house.

What kind of salami? You say using the smoker, are we talking (wet) summer sausage, or dried salami?

I've never seen dried salami done in the smoker, but i'm hardly a master of charcuterie.

What kind of salami? You say using the smoker, are we talking (wet) summer sausage, or dried salami?

I've never seen dried salami done in the smoker, but i'm hardly a master of charcuterie.

It is a smoked Salami that you take to 156 degrees and it says to hang in a cool dry place with no air movement till 25% of the weight has reduced. Then it says to peel and enjoy. On the bottom of the sheet it says to refrigerate or freeze after smoking.

I think I will be good with it thru the winter hanging in the garage. However, the inter web says freezing salami will mess with the texture and should be avoided. So not sure what to do for long term storage.

I made some of this over the weekend with my hunting partner. How do you store it? The directions are contradictory and my understanding is salami is not meant to be frozen. Currently it’s hanging to loose it’s 25% weight in a 48-50 degree garage. Once it’s there what do you do?

View attachment 167867
I cut each log of it in half and vacuum seal and freeze. I think it actually gets better over time in the freezer after smoking. We’ve had chunks that got lost in the freezer and ate almost 2 years after making it, and it was still excellent.

I cut each log of it in half and vacuum seal and freeze. I think it actually gets better over time in the freezer after smoking. We’ve had chunks that got lost in the freezer and ate almost 2 years after making it, and it was still excellent.
It didn’t get watery like summer sausage does when you thaw it?

It is a smoked Salami that you take to 156 degrees and it says to hang in a cool dry place with no air movement till 25% of the weight has reduced. Then it says to peel and enjoy. On the bottom of the sheet it says to refrigerate or freeze after smoking.

I think I will be good with it thru the winter hanging in the garage. However, the inter web says freezing salami will mess with the texture and should be avoided. So not sure what to do for long term storage.
Sounds good to me.

I think the freezing part depends on how much moisture is left. Fat does weird things in the freezer. I've found with "wet" or high moisture type sausage it freezes fine. Dried type is hit or miss for me, usually if its dried and cured properly it will last a long time in a stable environment.

It didn’t get watery like summer sausage does when you thaw it?
A little bit if you take it out and eat it as soon as it’s thawed. I usually let it sit a bit after it’s thawed. Or thaw it overnight in the fridge. But yes, if you thaw it at room temp and eat right away it will be a bit watery.

I just made 18 lbs of the Hi Mountain salami today (https://himtnjerky.com/salami-sausage-kit/). I call it a dry salami as the instructions say to hang it in a cool place, after smoking, till it loses X% of its weight. I made this same stuff last year and it was great. After a few weeks of drying, I froze most of the batch. I noticed absolutely zero difference in taste or texture between the fresh stuff and the stuff I froze and later thawed. I've always liked Hi Mountain's summer sausage kit, but this is now my favorite kit of theirs.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back