Caribou Gear Tarp

Looking for Moose hunt for 2020 in Canada

LopeHunter

Anyone been on an enjoyable moose hunt up North?

Looking for a hunt where see lots of bull moose even if are on smaller side. I no longer shoot a bow so needs to be a rifle or muzzleloader hunt. I do not need guided per se but want someone else on hand as is time to cut and pack the critter out as I previously got the moose field-dressing merit badge. I have no issue going guided. I actually enjoy riding horses so that is not a show-stopper. Cold weather does not bother me nor sleeping in a tent away from a road for the hunt.

I researched this a few months ago and Alberta seemed to have larger moose that further east in Canada but offered sub-$10K hunts which are around half the price of the hunts seeking 60"-70" wide moose further west and north.

Anyone been on an enjoyable moose hunt up North?

Looking for a hunt where see lots of bull moose even if are on smaller side. I no longer shoot a bow so needs to be a rifle or muzzleloader hunt. I do not need guided per se but want someone else on hand as is time to cut and pack the critter out as I previously got the moose field-dressing merit badge. I have no issue going guided. I actually enjoy riding horses so that is not a show-stopper. Cold weather does not bother me nor sleeping in a tent away from a road for the hunt.

I researched this a few months ago and Alberta seemed to have larger moose that further east in Canada but offered sub-$10K hunts which are around half the price of the hunts seeking 60"-70" wide moose further west and north.
I’m pretty sure BC has a lot more moose than Alberta, so maybe start there as there will be a lot more outfitting options as well. I did a moose/goat hunt in BC in 2013 but would not recommend the outfitter as we only saw 1 bull moose in 9 days of “hunting”. It was not an enjoyable experience driving Suzuki samurais around all day long, nor was it the “hunting” experience I thought it would be. Live and learn.

Newfoundland is the best spot by far, success rates are high but average Bull is small.

Do your research on the outfitter though, there are a lot of them and they tend to be far apart on the customers service spectrum

I am not an expert but I believe a moose permit needs sold through a guide but a drop camp meets this requirement. I have seen people advertising cabin rental and moose permit packages where the hunting is DIY unless I am mistaken. Some seem priced pretty reasonable, no idea about success rates though.

I live in bc , I kill 50 inch every year mins from house . if it was me head to Yukon and kill a real cranker. If your paying for a guide go do it right

The only place your going semi guide in Canada is Ontario, and in most unit you might be on shared license for the camp/unit. Other then that all the other Provence’s you will need and outfitter.
If you not concerned with trophy size NF is the place to go.

The guys in my bear story (https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/alberta-bear-adventure.283109/) were planning on opening up "virgin" territory in 2018 in unit 539 in far NW Alberta. Due to huge swaths of roadless areas the only way to access thousands of square miles used to be argo's before freeze up, and then snowmobiles afterwards. They were planning on using the Sherps vehicles for exploring areas where heretofore was only hunted by First Nation's hunters. (They also guide on the northern Rockies for multiple species)

I have hunted moose twice in northern BC, first by myself and the second time was a 2 on 1 hunt with my son. He took a 52" bull on the last day. Weather played an issue on that hunt, which was a little to warm. I took a smaller 45" bull on my first hunt. These hunt were horseback hunts.

Last edited:
Back