Looking for MN area hunting partner to hunt colorado backcountry

Sawtooth Hunter

This feels a little out of place for me but I thought I would give it a try. I am looking for someone to go and hunt archery elk in the colorado backcountry the fall of 2019. I have a few units in mind but I have never hunted colorado. I am 41yrs old and I am a expienced elk hunter I've hunted Idaho, and Wyoming for archery elk and Wyoming for rifle mule deer and antelope I've been going out west every fall off and on for the past 15-20yrs. I am planning on going for a 14 day day hunt and my usual hunting group is not on board for hunting that long or as serious about archery hunting as I am and I can't seem to find any other of my hunting friends to commit and my wife is against me going solo. The plan would be to pick a area to hunt and go in for about 4 days and come back out if there is no elk, regroup for more food, or move area so it would' be a solid 10 days or so in the back country. The backcountry hunting is new to me all I have ever done was base camp hunt. My reason's for picking Colorado is the otc tag availability. I am out of points for Wyoming, the area I hunted in Idaho the wolves took over, and I don't know if I want to go to Montana and get chewed up by a grizzley bear;). I know the Colorado otc area's are full of hunting pressure and the backcountry may not be the paradise one might think it is but I think it would be a fun adventure. I am open to anyone interested even if you're not from MN shoot me a message and we can talk more.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, I started hunting with what is now a great friend, who I met from a post just like yours. Been going to MT for a three week +/- trip for four years now. So don't worry about feeling out of place.
Good luck!

Welcome!

You from up at the Sawtooth Mountains in MN?

Maybe post on the Minnesota Chapter of BHA.....

Thanks I didn’t realize MN had a BHA I thought it was more of a out west thing I’ve just learned about BHA in the last year sounds like they are doing some good things. Sawtooth mountains of Minnesota is where I got that name I spend a lot of time there hunting and Fishing. I have hunting shack by Siver Bay. I hope to spend some time on the Superior hiking trail this spring and summer to test out my gear for this backcountry hunt.

I’m interested but can’t commit yet. I do have an idea for a place to hunt in Colorado though. I’ll send you a lengthy PM when I have a chance.

I might be interested but can't commit this far out. I'm a MN native and have been living in CO for 15 years. I've elk hunted here every year since moving here, and have been in many different units.

I might be interested but can't commit this far out. I'm a MN native and have been living in CO for 15 years. I've elk hunted here every year since moving here, and have been in many different units.

Thanks let me know when you make a decision. What part of Minnesota are you from?

I am out for 2019 wife is pregnant ... but I would love to get know some other folks from MN who travel west. I just hunted elk (2nd rifle CO) for the first time this year and while unsuccessful still had a blast and can't wait to try it again.

Its starting to look like I will be goung solo which I am ok with I have hunted solo before but not in the backcountry. I am a little concerned about packing one out of the backcountry by myself I will to be mindful of my location and distance. I have plan A,B,C, and D figured out and I am scheduled go out on a scouting trip the last week in july

I sent you a pm, I can pretty much move my schedule around if need be. I’ve been looking at a couple different units too, let me know if your interested in discussing it further.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back