Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Looking for Ground Tarp options with a bivy option.

Badger_55

I have spent some time archery hunting in a tipi tent and my first trip I kept sliding off my ground tarp with my sleeping pad. The following year I applied silicone to bottom of my pad. It seemed to help, but I run a down quilt and last year I was setting it outside every day as the condensation inside the tent made it damp enough to need to dry.
So I am ultimately looking for a system that would act as a ground tarp that I could put a couple stakes in if there was any angle. While having the ability to slide my sleeping pad and ground quilt inside the tarp as a simple bivy?
Is there any recommendations? Or is this not a good idea?
Thanks for the input.

Tyvek and PolyCryo are super cheap, and in the case of PolyCryo weighs nothing. Semi disposable. SilNylon will last longer but not worth the weight and cost IMO.
If you go with Tyvek crumple/uncrumple a few times and/or throw in the dryer to make it a little more pliable.

do you guys create a pouch then to slide the pad and bag inside? I moved to a down quilt last year and I really like it. Gives me a lot of room. I have been running a light cheap ground tarp from wally world for the last 3 years. The silicone dabs on my pad and that seem to hold. Just hated having to throw my nice down quilt over a pine tree everyday when I went to hunt. I am basically kind of looking for a really lightweight breathable bedroll setup.

Tyvek is good to have.
side note for your problem...I used to slip and slide a lot at night. It’s not the absolute best but I often use a big Agnes ul15 which has a pocket in the sleeping bag to insert the pad. Works pretty well.

Tyvek doesn't breathe well enough to be a top layer for a bivy sack IMO, and PolyCro and Silnylon won't at all. TiGoat and Rab both used to make bivy sacks with a PU coated bottom fabric, and DWR treated but very breathable top fabric. Something like that is a good pairing with a tarp and about a half pound or less, Neither seem to be in production anymore unfortunately, might have to make your own.

Tyvek doesn't breathe well enough to be a top layer for a bivy sack IMO, and PolyCro and Silnylon won't at all. TiGoat and Rab both used to make bivy sacks with a PU coated bottom fabric, and DWR treated but very breathable top fabric. Something like that is a good pairing with a tarp and about a half pound or less, Neither seem to be in production anymore unfortunately, might have to make your own.
The OR Helium E-bivy is nice and very breathable, I just picked one up this winter to use with a tarp.

Last edited:
I have spent some time archery hunting in a tipi tent and my first trip I kept sliding off my ground tarp with my sleeping pad. The following year I applied silicone to bottom of my pad. It seemed to help, but I run a down quilt and last year I was setting it outside every day as the condensation inside the tent made it damp enough to need to dry.
So I am ultimately looking for a system that would act as a ground tarp that I could put a couple stakes in if there was any angle. While having the ability to slide my sleeping pad and ground quilt inside the tarp as a simple bivy?
Is there any recommendations? Or is this not a good idea?
Thanks for the input.
Borah gears bivy has a couple of stake loops . I have one but haven’t used the loops. It’s super light and does have a bug screen for those times when you run into unexpected insects when sleeping out or in a floorless setup. Also, for me I really helps with drafts when using the quilt.

I still typically use tyvek under my bivy for added protection and additional coverage over the ground.

Borah gears bivy has a couple of stake loops . I have one but haven’t used the loops. It’s super light and does have a bug screen for those times when you run into unexpected insects when sleeping out or in a floorless setup. Also, for me I really helps with drafts when using the quilt.

I still typically use tyvek under my bivy for added protection and additional coverage over the ground.
I like the look of those.

I will look at those all. I was thinking of just buying the material and having the wife sew that into my ground sheet.

If not set on a tarp for your bivy check out this...

This is what I would recommend as well. I've been using a DCF Borah Gear bivy for several years now and have no complaints. It's a bit pricy, but it's also pretty bomber and only weighs 4.5 oz.

I have the Borah. I never enjoy sleeping in a bivy, but when I do I'm glad I have the Borah.

If not set on a tarp for your bivy check out this...

Zombie thread and response, I know, but thanks @Sytes for the recommendation. I got one and haven’t slept that good in the woods since I was a teenager.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back