Looking for a spring black bear hunting partner.

Smokey76

Hello,
To all, I am looking for someone who would like to do a spring black bear hunt in Montana with me, 2010? I would prefer it be someone close to me, here in Indiana, but Iam open to all hunters. This is a over the counter tag, and as of now would take place from April-May 2010. I am 33yrs. old but age means nothing to me. I take my hunting VERY serious, safty is first, but I feel that hunting is all about haveing fun, but also you need to have the up-most respect for the game you are hunting, and the outdoors at all times.
I have been looking to do this hunt for a few years now, so I know a little bit about what is needed, and some prices. First off, you must pass, and have with you in order to get a bear tag, is the bear identification test certificate, whitch I have already done, passed, and have in hand. It is not that hard, and you can do it online, as I did, or have one mailed to you, your choice. Second a non-resident tag is $350.00, "Cheap" I am not sure what a resident tag is.
I plan on doing a ten day hunt, either the first or second week of April 2010, so this time would have to work for you as well. Plus keep in mind this is a D.I.Y hunt the only way I like to hunt.
Well as you can see there is plenty of work, and planing to be done in order to set up a hunt like this, but I hope to find someone who loves, and respects the outdoors as much as I do. So if you would be interested in this hunt, please let me know asap, I hope to do this hunt and many others like in every year. I will be cheacking this post daily for one week, to see if anyone is intereasted, and if no one has responded by then, I am gonna try a few other sites as well, so please get in touch asap.
And just so you all know, I would be willing to get together with as much as three guy's, for a total of four, to do this hunt with.
I hope to speack with you soon!!

Last edited:
Smokey76, you need to move that hunt by one month. Go the first or second week of May. It's not even open until April 15, and most bears are still sleeping then. Good luck and enjoy.

I agree with shoots-straight, definitely would plan on coming in mid to late May.
There's a lot of bear hunters on this site, and a few that REALLY know what they're doing. I'd pick some brains before you go.

I'm from IN, but live a bit closer to MT now... ;) I'm hoping things work out next spring, as it hasn't the last two, but I'm really hoping to head to either ID or MT for black bears. Long way to say, I may be interested in joining, but can't/won't be certain for a while yet. However, if you'd like to start comparing notes/planning PM me.

PS- What part of IN are your from? I grew up a bit north of Evansville.

Hey thanks for the info fellas, I was planing on going opening day, April 15th, but it's info like that, that I am trying to find. This is gonna be my first bear hunt, so any info is welcome. Let me ask this, I am planing on takeing a Remington 270 to hunt with, is this a good gun for the job, or should I take my Remington 300 Mag ?
Again thanks for the info guy's, and I will be cheacking daily, two or three times a day, I am trying to get all the info I can, so thanks a lot !!

Hello 1-Pointer,
First I live in Knox,IN about 25 mins south west of Plymouth,IN, small world.
Thanks for takeing the time to read and responed to my post. 1-Pointer I know that MT,"Montana" selles over the counter black bear tags, for non-residents, but does ID,"Idaho" sell over the counter tags for non-residents to hunt spring black bear, and if not is it a draw or how does it work ?
Plus if you don't mind me asking, why have the past two spring's been so bad for you ? Also the first two questions I ask any one I hunt with, have you taken, and passed the hunter safty course ?
Second how many years have you been hunting, and are you more of a gun hunter or a bow hunter ?
I myself, love to gun hunt, big game in big country, but I also will always get a rush from setting in a stand, and drawing back on a nice Whitetail .

Again thanks for the response, and I would realy like to try and get this hunt together, asap, so I am more than open to getting thing's on a roll, and I look forward to talking to you.

Terry S.

Smoke-
ID does sell OTC bear tags for the spring season and in some units, you can get two tags and they are only like $35 (still have to have the $152 hunting license). The past two springs have been a combination of things, from lack of $$, to my father being sick with cancer, to being in IN for his estate sale, work not allowing time off then, etc. I have a hunter's safety card as most western states require them for purchasing tags/licenses. I've been hunting since I was 8 or 9. Living in UT, I've hunted much more with a gun than a bow, but I do miss bow season in IN.

Smokey

If you come before the second week of may, you will see more snow than bears. The snow will seriously limit where you can hunt and the bears will still be hybernateing. Most bears start to emerge mid-may. You will be wasting your time coming in april. You will be disappointed. If the spring is like this last spring I didnt start seeing many bears until the last week of May. Dont want to discourage you but with montana spring bear hunting later is always better. Good luck

Hey fellas,
Thanks for all of the info, I never dreamed that I would get this many replay's this fast, it's been great. GFHUNTER, I would like to thank you for the heads up, but if I understand right, the spring black bear season in MT, is from April 15th to May 31st, and that is why I was planning on doing a ten day hunt, starting the second or thrid week of April, hopeing to hit it just about the middle of the season ?
As I said in the begining, this is gonna be my frist bear hunt, so any info is welcome. Pointer, have you hunted black bear in MT, or any of the other states close to MT, and if so what is your input on this time matter thing, what or when do you think would be a good time to hit the hills ?

Also, if anyone else has some input on the best time to black bear hunt in MT, please feel free to let us know.
Know Pointer, to throw some more of my plan at you, I have been looking at the stats, on the last two years of black bear taken in MT, and in what part of the state, and right now I am planning on going to, Glacier Co, Mt, Thompson-Fisher, CE, Public Land track, "Elevation 4,068 ft." This track totals 142,000 acres to hunt. The closest town is, Thompson Falls,MT
So if I am looking right, this is the north west side of the state, located in Region 1, where last year there was over 10,000 Black Bears taken on public land.
Ask me those are pritty good numbers, no other region in the state came close. Let me know what you think.
Pointer if you would like to we can set up a time to talk on the phone, "On my dime" and any time is good with me I am on layoff, I am a welder by trade, and can't buy a job, so let me know what you think.

Smokey,

Just curious, but where are you getting your harvest stats? From what I've read there shouldn't be anywhere close to 10,000 taken statewide in one year, much less one region.

Also, season dates vary by unit. In addition to the May 31th closure, some of the northwest units close by May 15th, while others are open through June 15th. Some are also on a female harvest quota, though none up Thompson Falls way I believe.

Carl

Carl's right, your numbers are way off. There's roughly 1000-1200 bears killed in the entire state each year.
You are looking into good areas to hunt though. Region 1 and 2 have the most bears in the state, and TONS of public land. Problem is the season closes either May 15th or 31st depending on the unit. A lot of bears sleep all the way through the spring season in these areas.

Hey guy's,
I have got all of my info from the Montana state wildlife and fish service, and maybe I did read the numbers wrong, maybe it was 1,000-1,200 bears in region 1, but I do know that it was for that region alone, not state wide. The Montana state web site post how many and what type of bears were taken in each region, also I must say that is bores and sows numbers together.
Just to make sure I am gonna go back to their web site to double check. But I must ask, Randy11 if most of the bears sleep during this time, why don't they move the season back some or at least make it longer ?
As I have said from the start guy's, this is gonna be my first bear hunt, so I am open to any and all info, and I will be sure to check all the info I read very close to make sure it is true!!

I'm not sure why the dates are what they are, but I would agree with Randy11. The bigger bears seem to sleep through teh spring season in the western areas.

It really doesn't make sense that they have the season so early in some parts of the state. The units that they do close early are units with higher bear densities, so they must figure leaving it open later would cause too large of a harvest.
Don't get me wrong, a lot of bears are killed in these units the last week or so it's open, you just really have to hit it hard for that week.

That's why my numbers were wrong, I read to fast, and miss read.
However I still hope to find someone who is interested in doing a Black bear hunt this spring, if so let me know. 1-Pointer I do hope that we can work something out, and it sounds like the middle of May is the right time to hunt region 1, so I plan to be in Montana about May 10th and hunt until the 20th, and hope for the best.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back