Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Looking for a little help on a dog decision

I would encourage you to take a puppy class if there is a good trainer nearby. No matter your experience, I think there is always benefit to it. Socialization over the next six to eight weeks is key.

Late to the posts, But similar to other griff owners. Was a lab guy forever, but wife wanted a lower shedding dog for inside. Mine is stillIMG_2794.JPG young and full of drive and energy. That said, she stays healed in the duck blind until she's released. Haven't hunted in sleet/snow, but I think they can handle cold better than other pointing breeds. She liked playing in all the snow this year.

i have a number of short coat gwp, they hit the water as hard as about any dog ive seen retreive geese out of the yellowstone with ice floating. shoot couple hundred upland birds over points, retreives anything, puts the neighbors cat up a tree anytime, i believe whole heartedly i coukd teach either parent to trail a lion, retreived foxes that i shot last week, take coyote hunting many times and shot coyotes next to them,,,,,prey drive can be controlled, a dog with intelligence can be trained to get my sandwich from the cooler if u have time
my female tracked couple woundwd whitetails in the river bottoms last year,
lays in the house all night ect, the right dog is very handy for many things

I would encourage you to take a puppy class if there is a good trainer nearby. No matter your experience, I think there is always benefit to it. Socialization over the next six to eight weeks is key.
Ive got a couple buddies that have done all kinds of training from hounds to labs to pointers, so i'm just taking in all of their recommendations which has been nice to have. Sounds like one of the main tasks to get a handle on is the whoa training...... he's been socializing very well with other dogs and humans but we still continue to work on that

You need to talk to breeders to find out what their specific crosses are producing. The money bird pups bring is stupid high for anything other than a proven cross with nearly certain results.

Check out wachtelhunds or common name German spaniels. Good water dog and blood tracker, good looking smaller dog. They are super rare though.

Pretty old thread. Didn't read it all, Op pretty much spilled the bean's in his first post. He didn't have a clue what he wanted in a dog. Choice between a Lab and a Blue Tic? A lab is a waterfoul dog and a Blue Tic is a treeing hound! First thing he'd had to figure out is what he wanted the dog to do! Send a dog out to retrieve a duck and it trees a coon!

Pretty old thread. Didn't read it all, Op pretty much spilled the bean's in his first post. He didn't have a clue what he wanted in a dog. Choice between a Lab and a Blue Tic? A lab is a waterfoul dog and a Blue Tic is a treeing hound! First thing he'd had to figure out is what he wanted the dog to do! Send a dog out to retrieve a duck and it trees a coon!
I know what I want..... it came down to what's the family and wife want on this one. I just don't have time to work with hounds and try and get them to where they need to be right now. So I opted out and gave my wife some moral support. We ended up with a weimaraner which she had growing up. I guess she went with something familiar..... maybe next time for the hound. No labs in this house even though I do love them as well.

Figured that out all by yourself Don. 😑

Nice looking Weim! I had one growing up, very loyal to my Dad,Mom and I and was hell on pheasants but didn't like retrieving ducks. I believe it sometimes has to do with the amount of oil that waterfowl feathers have vs. Upland birds. After the weim, my dad and I made sure to start our Draath and wirehair out retrieving waterfowl right away..before they get use to how good pheasants taste. Both have been good for the most part with ducks, geese and especially pheasants. We're not great trainers by any means though.
Congratulations on the new member of the family! I'm sure itll be a great dog.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back