Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

looking for a good hunting horse

JDR

Anyone here have horses???? and what horse would make a good trail,hunting horse(wilderness,shed hunting and all around trail riding)
Getting back into horses and would like your input on how you like your horses and how they work for your type of hunting and outdoor use(post a pic if you have one of your favorite trail partner)

A MULE will work the best. I have use mules for over 25 years u can ride & pack both with a mules. I have found that some mules will work as good as a pointer & will point game out it must be the jack in them. I have trailer mules all over some time as much as 3 day in trailer and over 2000 miles with small rest stops. A many a guys have brought horses and every time we have had trouble. Also you will not have the vet. bills with the mules. Works for me.

Have a 1/2 Qtr anf 1/2 Morgan now. Does great in the mountains with lots os stamina. Rides nice and packs with no problem.

Last horse was all Qtr and would go all day every day, even at 22 years old. He led me to more game than you can imagine and would refuse to go if there were any elk nearby. Would pack anything you wanted him to.

This is tyhe one I have now. The second picture was my old horse, he is the palomino.

DSC01310.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

Nice horses EH...have have always admired palominos. Must be the blonde thing. :)

That palomino was the best horse anyone could ever ask for, not just for hunting, but trail riding and even for a youngster wanting to learn. My buddy used him last yer on out hunt. He was a green rider and you could not ask for a better horse than that palomino.

I'll try to be of help in telling you what not to get. My father in law is a horse guy. He swears by thoroughbreds. My opinion is that they are posessed by satan himself and try to kill you at any given time. Having a rodeo every time you saddle up isn't my idea of fun.

After about 5 years of my "failing to show the horse who's boss", he bought an old plug of quarter horse/morgan cross that is short and wide and goes anywhere. Very level headed and slow. Just right.

I'll take a Mustang

Over the years I have had exceptional luck with Mustangs. They have a mild temperament and are sure footed even on a shale slide. The best part is they have been there and done that when it comes to the wilds. When packing in you need less fodder for them, as they will make do with what ever is available. They are alert and will see game before you do and they won’t come unglued if something out of the ordinary happens. I haven’t had one yet that wouldn’t accept the smell of blood or refuse to pack an animal. On the other hand I have had problems with several Quarter and Thorough bred (s) seeing a boogie man behind every bush and refusing to pack.
Now don’t get me wrong there are excellent horses of all breeds that are out standing hunting animals. Most of all its like Marv said it’s the conditioning and exposure you give your animal prior to your trip. And for us drug store cowboys I’ve found the milder the animal the better the trip.

Half Morgan /Half quarter is an interesting mix. When I talk to horse people for that matter mule people they say you need a horse that is 16 hands to carry X amount of weight. Please explain...

P1010326a.jpg
This is a picture from last summer. Both these horses are quarter/Percheron cross. They are big strong animals with a very mild manner. The brown one 2 1/2 weeks before the picture had never been rode. It's 3 years old and my gray is 4 years old and while I had rode it 25 times before at home it was both their 1 st trips to the hills. All fall these two wee great and did antthing we ask them. No rodeos or blow ups. and when it came to packin Elk they could have cared less. They walked up to the carcess and sniffeed it and took steady while we loaded the elk on the blown horse. packed 5 miles out with no trouble at all.

P1010678.jpg
Here is that brown horse another two weeks later. I guess you could say I'm sold on this mix of a horse.

I have heard mules are freakin awesome once they are trained and such.But therein lies the trouble they are smart fast and will try and kick your butt while your trying to train them. How much you selling your 9 year old for?

She is priced at $2000. you can see some pics of her at :http://www.mtnviewhorses.com/gretchen.html

If you wanted her we could work out some sort of delevery. I am meeting a guy in Winnamucca NV. in a few weeks who is buying a yearling mule from me. There is room in the trailer if you want her and dont mind a little drive.

Smithstation, I appreciate the offer, but there is plenty of good stock locally. I was more curious than anything what a trained mule sells for.

Ya, I hear ya. I have family in Baker Or. and there are always mules and horses for sale in that area. They are a lot cheeper there than they are here. Good luck!

I couldn't afford a full pack horse, so I got is this Quarter-Horse....not very good for packin' an animal out but will get ya to the top in a hurry!! :)

quarterhorse.jpg

Ha Ha! Thats funny as hell.

I Don't think it's a particular breed as long as you stay away from Thoroughbreds and Arabs. I think it's more about preparation. The first year I took my paint elk hunting, he locked up when I got down wind of dead elk. I tied him up about 10 feet away, down wind while we loaded up the other horses. The next day I rode him up to the dead elk before he locked up. He lead out several horses that trip that had elk on them. he was picketed about 10 yards from 6 dead, hanging elk for several days. The next year he packed out 2 different elk. He doesn't even flinch when he gets near a dead animal anymore. He was a scikish horse when he was 4, at 9 he's pretty solid and he regularly "locks up" when he smells, hears, senses, see deer and elk. I acutally killed a deer in Nv. last year that he locked up on. I would have ridden right by if he hadn't stopped.

Back