MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Looking for a "budget" pack

okie_hotrod

I'm getting my gear gathered up for my trip out west this October and need a few more key items and one of those is a pack. My budget, nor my wife, will not allow me to spend a lot for one, especially since I've spent quite a bit here lately on boots and other gear as well as finishing my AR that took a year to finish. I need a pack that will serve as a daypack and meat hauler since I'll be hunting out of a base camp. Just need enough space for essential gear (extra layers, first aid, water, kill kit, etc.) and maybe a little extra for a spotting scope or other misc items. I've looked at the Horn Hunter Mountain Top which is reasonably priced but I'm not sure the internal frame could handle the duty of packing out an elk.
Thanks in advance

Cabela's Alaskan pack frame with a Camelback day pack strapped to it with a Kifaru Gunbearer. I have about $125 into the set.

It'll handle more weight than I'm willing to carry, and is pretty comfortable.

I'd snag a used Dana or even Lowe Alpine over a new $100 "hunting" pack any day. Just my take, good luck and have fun!

I would suggest looking at the Slumberjack Bounty. The new model, the 2.0, is still a little pricey but the older version, the 4500, can be found for $179 or less. I've had the 4500 for a couple of years now and packed several elk and deer with it. You can run it as the full pack (frame, large bag and day pack) or you can run just the small day pack or with just the frame. It's pretty versatile and can take some extreme weight. If you have any specific questions about it let me know, I would be happy to help you out.

I'd snag a used Dana or even Lowe Alpine over a new $100 "hunting" pack any day. Just my take, good luck and have fun!
This! Lots of good "non-hunting" packs make good "hunting" packs... Places like REI, Campmor, and Sierra Trading Post are worth looking at.

I've read good reviews about this frame/hauler and it's definitely affordable. Just strap a bag to it for day hunt mode.
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/643...yall-pack&attrValue_0=Olive&productId=1077114

I'd definitely recommend looking at Slumberjack. My buddy has the Bounty 4500 and really likes it. I have the Rail Hauler and then I strap my regular bowhunting backpack to it and it works great. You can throw a leg on the inside and put the other pack to the outside.
I have looked at getting one of two roll-top dry bags to use instead, but haven't got that far yet.

The REI XT85 will handle a solid load, is well constructed and easy to find used for a good value and will meet your needs.

any used medium to high grade hiking/backpacking pack will work great. I took a purple Osprey pack added some beefier shoulder straps ($20 from Osprey), and a bit of spray paint, and now have a really nice hunting pack, every you could want for like $60.

Don't forget to look on Craigslist. I found mine there, and a new Leupold rangefinder for half price.

any used medium to high grade hiking/backpacking pack will work great. I took a purple Osprey pack added some beefier shoulder straps ($20 from Osprey), and a bit of spray paint, and now have a really nice hunting pack, every you could want for like $60.

Did you spray paint the fabric? If so, how has it held up and what paint did you use?

Yep, just spray painted the fabric, cheap hardware store paint. I didn't turn out the way I envisioned it, but it certainly breaks of the color and outline enough that I struggle to find it if I leave it somewhere!

I got a cheap Jansport "Big Bear" in college, and am still using it about 10 years later with no issues. I've had over 100 lbs in it several times packing out critters, and use it on summer backpack trips as well.

When it finally bites the dust I'll upgrade to a higher end pack, but until then it works fine.

Get a cheap used one off Craig's list or ebay. I bought a barely used old green Kelty in Salvation Army and I've helped pack out 2 moose so far. Cost $15. One trip I had over a hundred lbs, main compartment over the top with just meat. People are too much into gear, people throw away great stuff. Best piece of equipment is between your ears.

Yep, just spray painted the fabric, cheap hardware store paint. I didn't turn out the way I envisioned it, but it certainly breaks of the color and outline enough that I struggle to find it if I leave it somewhere!

Nice. I have a solid Jack Wolfskin from my backpacking days that I will work on.

For anyone interested there are some cool Youtube videos on this.

Back