PEAX Equipment

Longest solo backpack hunt?

I went into the Ruby Mountains planning on nine days, but came out on day six after tagging out.
I drew 101-109 muzzleloader deer. I drew 051 in the past and backpacked the unit that time (which is similar country). Did you see many bucks??

I drew 101-109 muzzleloader deer. I drew 051 in the past and backpacked the unit that time (which is similar country). Did you see many bucks??
Yes, but that was about six years ago.

The year that I moved down to SW Montana I bought my first Unlimited sheep tag and backpacked solo about 5 miles into the Absaroka Wilderness east of Gardiner, MT. The 3rd morning as I left my camp I was feeling sickly, then abour 1/2 hour from camp I heard a bull elk bugeling and coming toward me.

I just hunkered down behind a tree waiting to see what he would do. The first thing that I saw was the ivory tips of his antlers as he walked toward me. Then the heavy, dark brown rest of his antlers came into view. He stopped broadside about 75 yards from me and bugeled, and I couldn't resist.

I hadn't seen a sheep in two days, here was a beautiful 6x6 bull elk standing right in front of me, the early wilderness elk rifle season was open, so BOOM I put a 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullet from my .257 Ackley right behind his shoulder and he just collapsed, dead,

So I dressed and quartered him and hung the quarters in a tree, packed up my camp and went home to get my horses. At that time I didn't have a horse trailer, so the next mornong I borrowed my neighbor's trailer and one of my horses walked right into it, but the other one just would not load. So I called a co-worker who lived in Gardiner, and I was able to rent a horse from his mother who lived in Jardine.

The rest was uneventfull as I rode in to the elk, loaded the quarters on the two horses, and walked out. That bull netted 330" and still is my second best antlered bull elk.

I'm a mormon, in my mid to late 30's, I wish I could do a one day solo hunt. 😉

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back