Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Longer trips with higher mileage vehicles?

I once took a Suzuki Samurai with 160,000 miles and no heater or radio from Clancy, to Superior to meet a buddy for a whitetail hunt.

I worked swing shift at the time, so around midnight I put on my snowsuit, hat, and gloves(no heater) and put a cd in my Walkman(no radio) and took to the open road.

Around Clinton,MT, I started to feel wetness on my face. Figuring some snow was getting through one of the holes on the door-roof junction I carried on. The weather outside the samurai getting inside the samurai was a natural occurrence. A few miles later, around Bonner, I got a weird taste in my mouth and the Sammy broke down on the side of the road. I got out to take a look(no interior lights either). I busted out my flashlight to find myself absolutely covered in oil from head to toe. The engine had blown up, and was flinging oil at me through the numerous holes in the floor as I rolled down the interstate. I didn’t notice because it was dark and I was wearing a freaking snow suit.

That was the day my samurai died, and that oil stain marked the interstate for years after.

I’d get your Toyota checked out prior to taking your trip, but beyond that You always run the risk on taking a big trip. Even in a new vehicle.

Lmao, epic

I once took a Suzuki Samurai with 160,000 miles and no heater or radio from Clancy, to Superior to meet a buddy for a whitetail hunt.

I worked swing shift at the time, so around midnight I put on my snowsuit, hat, and gloves(no heater) and put a cd in my Walkman(no radio) and took to the open road.

Around Clinton,MT, I started to feel wetness on my face. Figuring some snow was getting through one of the holes on the door-roof junction I carried on. The weather outside the samurai getting inside the samurai was a natural occurrence. A few miles later, around Bonner, I got a weird taste in my mouth and the Sammy broke down on the side of the road. I got out to take a look(no interior lights either). I busted out my flashlight to find myself absolutely covered in oil from head to toe. The engine had blown up, and was flinging oil at me through the numerous holes in the floor as I rolled down the interstate. I didn’t notice because it was dark and I was wearing a freaking snow suit.

That was the day my samurai died, and that oil stain marked the interstate for years after.

I’d get your Toyota checked out prior to taking your trip, but beyond that You always run the risk on taking a big trip. Even in a new vehicle.

Ha! Love it. Did you at least walk from the interstate up Bonner mountain and kill a whitetail?

Reminds me of a trip on the Butterfly side of Willow Creek in a buds 1965 Dodge pickup. Snowy, icy roads. On the way down I noticed him having a braking problem. That road is sketchy in a lot of places. By the grace of somebody we made it off the mountain. My butt hurt from clenching. At the bottom he popped the hood. The tinfoil cap on the master cylinder was gone. Yeah, tinfoil. Brake fluid mostly gone. We had another epic adventure in a 1967 CJ. Another story involving brakes. mtmuley

You win this thread.

Unfortunately that was where that hunt ended. That was my only rig at the time. My girlfriend at the time,who is now my wife, Drove through the night to save me. Good woman.

Later, for a few years I lived in one of the old Stimson Houses at the base of Bonner Mountain, before they fixed em up and made them nice, and have hiked all over it. It’s a good Mountain and numerous times I would see big horns, elk, mule deer, and whitetail on the same hike.

That samurai was so cool. 3 cylinder, 1.3 liter. Top speed of 70 miles an hour after about 4 miles of level
Ground. Your butt was over the rear wheels and your feet over the front ones. It leaked, so I’d close a tarp in the passenger door, fling it over the top, and close the other end of the tarp in the drivers door. I’d fly down the highway with that blue plastic flapping, dry and beautiful. I sure miss it.

Last edited:
I think I'm over 125,000 miles on my trucks making the long journey

Unfortunately that was where that hunt ended. That was my only rig at the time. My girlfriend at the time,who is now my wife, Drove through the night to save me. Good woman.

Later, for a few years I lived in one of the old Stimson Houses at the base of Bonner Mountain, before they fixed em up and made them nice, and have hiked all over it. It’s a good Mountain and numerous times I would see big horns, elk, mule deer, and whitetail on the same hike.

That samurai was so cool. 3 cylinder, 1.3 liter. Top speed of 70 miles an hour after about 4 miles of level
Ground. Your butt was over the rear wheels and your feet over the front ones. It leaked, so I’d close a tarp in the passenger door, fling it over the top, and close the other end of the tarp in the drivers door. I’d fly down the highway with that blue plastic flapping, dry and beautiful. I sure miss it.

I spent a lot of time in those mill houses as a kid. My uncle worked there for a long time and raised his kids in one of those company houses. Interesting story on those homes for sure.

They still make the Samurai overseas. I've always thought they'd make an awesome mountain rig for logging roads around here. https://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/lineup/jimny/index.html

I spent a lot of time in those mill houses as a kid. My uncle worked there for a long time and raised his kids in one of those company houses. Interesting story on those homes for sure.

They still make the Samurai overseas. I've always thought they'd make an awesome mountain rig for logging roads around here. https://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/lineup/jimny/index.html

That is a sexy rig and would be so cool to own. My samurai could go anywhere, in 4 wheel drive it was basically a box on top of a 4 wheeler.

Next to the post office in Bonner is a historic museum/visitors center with a lot of cool info about those houses. I would have liked to have seen that neighborhood in its heyday.

I guess I haven’t owned a real nice truck to take hunting but my 315k mile Chevy 1500 was the best $700 vehicle I have owned. Currently I have a 04 suburban that I bought fairly cheap and it has 190k and I just got back from a 1200 mile round trip in it last week. Eventually I will be able to buy a nice truck but its always interesting in an old beater.

I have 332k on my Tacoma hunting rig & 133k now on my new old F150..............so what was the OP ?
Disclaimer,I do not travel out of state or go cross country much these days. It takes too long to get to a hwy where I live...lol

Drove old Ford Expedition (140K miles, 14 years old) from AZ to NM on sheep hunt. Problem was the sheep was CO. Alternator crapped out outside Albuquerque. Rented SUV and circled back to get repaired SUV a week later. Several hundred dollars of rental and repair later I was headed back to AZ. Took Old Greenie on several more hunts but always said a little prayer as was loading gear for the drive. Wife hated that SUV and she kept driving over curbs leaving the grocery store. I still see that SUV from time to time and has made several roundtrips to CA per the new owner with nothing more that fluid changes and new tires.

I sold that SUV and drove down my 10 year old Food Escape from the NW when had 100K miles. Still using Ol' Red and last year did AZ to MT to WY to AZ safari including three weeks parked outside the taxidermist as waited for the next hunt. Am over 140K miles but I do carry the title in the glove box because if breaks down I am not fixing. I do change the oil frequently and until recently was kept in a garage at night. And yes, I say a prayer as load up the rig for a hunt. I often sleep in the back of the SUV on hunts by unloading the plastic tubs placing them under a tarp at night and I can sleep good diagonally with the seats moved forwards. Nothing quite like turning on the engine to blow some heat when is really cold.

OP said "well maintained," which is an imprecise term. If it has timing belt, when was that and water pump changed? How strong is the clutch if manual? Cooling system, charging system, plugs/wires, hoses, belts, brakes, shocks, bearings? Rust, especially exhaust and suspension? Air filter? CVs, boots" Flux capacitor? If all that is up to snuff, you could drive it to Hawaii. I had 3 yotas, they were all healthy when sold @ about 150k miles.

IMG_0626.JPG

My '07 Tundra is getting close to 190k miles and takes me all over the Idaho backcountry without worry. A typical weekend scouting or fishing trip racks up 500-700 miles. The engine still starts on the first crank even in below zero cold. I have kept up on standard maintenance, and have a good mechanic that checks the high wear parts each time I take it in for basic service. So far the only major replacements have been suspension parts that had worn out from all the miles on rough mountain roads, and I had them replace the CV axles when they discovered one boot had torn and grit was getting in. Better to replace early in the city than have to get towed out of the mountains later.

I just passed 200K on my 1997 Ford Explorer in October coming back from Wyoming to Iowa. I always cross my fingers and pet the dashboard before embarking. I'm always a little nervous but it has never left me stranded. I would love to have your Tacoma on a trip!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back