PEAX Equipment

Longbow or metcalf?

Chucknduck

So after ruining my back with a eberlestock I'm looking at these two packs. Wife is gonna get me one for my bday just need to decide which to get. 90% of my hunting is day trips but walking all day to get back a ways. So I need to haul meat out. Longbow is a god daypack size not sure f the metcalf would be to big? The metcalf is around 4300 ci how big is it without the lid? What are your thoughts?

I have a metcalf that I have used for many day hunts and packed in for multiple days at a time as well. Longest I've used the metcalf to pack in for was 5 days, went with a buddy who used a longbow. I'm amazed how much I can cram in that bag.

The metcalf works great compressed as a daypack, and I prefer to use small dry sacks to organize my gear within it. I also prefer a more minimalist setup, which the metcalf is. I think the longbow is a better daypack only bag, the internal pocketing and access are very helpful. If you value pocketing, longbow is a good call. If you value flexibility, the metcalf covers a wider range of situations. That depends on how much stuff you pack of course. One other thing to consider is packing heavy weight in the bag vs using the space between the frame and bag.....I've found the metcalf (with lift kit) helpful since I can do either, not sure how much meat you could cram in the longbow. Either way the lift kit really helps the frame perform; there isn't much load lift without it on the longbow.

My buddy packed in for 5 days with a longbow. He had all sorts of pockets strapped to that bag and slept in a bivy sack, and at times we thought it might explode, but it totally worked. So either would treat you well, just depends on what you prefer. Hopefully this gives you a couple things to consider. Let me know if you want to see any pics of the metcalf loaded up, compressed etc.

I have both and have used both of them for dayhunting and overnight trips. The Longbow can be used for overnight trips, but you'll have stuff lashed to the outside of it. I was able to get 9 days worth of gear and food in my Metcalf last fall. The Metcalf doubles VERY well as a daypack. The side zipper is the cat's meow and the new lid is great for keeping maps, gloves, hats, etc in.

If I was just choosing one, I'd pick the Metcalf if you think you might ever use it for overnight. However, the Longbow is very functional as a daypack, and gives you great flexibility for carrying treestands, quarters, etc.

I had both. Like the Metcalf tons better. More of everything; lift, capacity, organization. Sold the Longbow and don't miss it a bit.

Lots good info here. I'm leaning towards the metcalf because of its versatility as a day pack or overnighter. Does mystery ranch have a store at their place in Bozeman? Would like to get some hands on them before I decide

If I was just choosing one, I'd pick the Metcalf if you think you might ever use it for overnight. However, the Longbow is very functional as a daypack, and gives you great flexibility for carrying treestands, quarters, etc.

+2. I have used both, for many different applications. Both are great, but the Metcalf is my go to bag, even on day hunts.

Here's what the Metcalf looks like with 9 days of archery hunting gear and food, and also what it looks like in daypack mode.

Attachments

• rokslide 1.jpg
    rokslide 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 366
  • rokslide 2.jpg
    rokslide 2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 363
Both packs are great. I use my longbow for evening hunts but the Metcalf for day or when out for several days. I have the frame extension on my Metcalf, but not on my longbow. The longbow is more convenient due to the access and pockets, but with some good packing, the Metcalf is fine.

I hear an update to the frame is likely to be released before the 2016 hunt season, with new bags. My guess is they won't stink.

So are they both similar in their meat hauling where you can load meat between pack and frame? Is the lid removable from the metcalf? Should be able to run the extensions (load lifters) on both since same frame?

So are they both similar in their meat hauling where you can load meat between pack and frame? Is the lid removable from the metcalf? Should be able to run the extensions (load lifters) on both since same frame?

The new Metcalf has a meat shelf, which helps keep the meat from "squishing" out the bottom. With quarters it's not too bad, but with bags of boned meat I have found the meat shelf to be of some value.

Yes, the Metcalf lid is removeable.

I have the frame extensions on the NICE frame itself.

I currently use the Eberlestock Just One pack and have hauled some really heavy loads with it (too heavy to stand on my own power). My back was not great before using this pack, but I was wondering if there is anything specific about the pack that is causing your problems?

I have the x2 and I think it's a little small for me. I have a pretty long torso. Also the bottom of the frame digs into my hips with a heavy load. I know packing a whole deer or elk quater will never be pain free but I was sore for a couple days after hauling my deer 1/4 mile last year

I've had both and still have a metcalf. For mostly day hunts and the occasional over nighter I lean toward the Longbow. Both are good to go though.

Back