Long day for a...

Big Sky

...short beard. Actually it's not micro small, but 8" isn't exactly a world record. However, considering the very limited time I've had this spring (one day) I'll take it and be happy. The day started at 3:30am and I introduced this tom to the ground 16 1/2 hours later about 45 minutes before sundown. I spent a couple hours before noon trying unsuccessfully to call this bird in. He would gobble, but would strut or take a step in my direction. I had him between 80 and 100 yards for most of the time, but he just wouldn't commit. Eventually he left. When I finally did get him that evening it was blind luck. I snuck back in to the area he was in earlier to see if he had returned. I didn't see him and as I stood up to leave, he popped up right in front of me in a patch of brush, 30 yards away. Boom and I was done. Survived 30 to 40 mph winds, way too damn many snakes, ticks and cactus. It was nice to have the day end on a good note as I was thinking the turkeys had won.
TurkeyTroy05A_original.jpg

Micro Small

Is that what you tell your wife 8" is?

Nice bird, but I had to comment... :)

Troy..Nice bird ....Job well done... You DESERVED him after your first encounter with him...

Now... Pardon my ignorance, but I expected a Montana bird would be a Merriam's... You got some EASTERNS out there..?? That's what he looks like as ar as I can tell from the picture...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back