Log splitter

C17loadclear

Hey guys,

I will be in the market for a new splitter once we get settled in Idaho. I had a homemade horizontal that did great but we sold it since we didn’t wanna drag it across the country.

I know that I want one that will go vertical and love the idea of the log chute that lifts the logs...but man oh man is that log lifter expensive. We will probably split 3 or 4 cords a year if that helps at all.

I would like to stay under 1500 if possible.

Thoughts??

Btw, if you want to find out how much crap you have just move...I can’t believe the stuff I have been hanging onto. 😁

Thanks!!

I went with one that mounts with a three point hitch on a tractor and uses the tractor hydraulics. It was about $950 10-15 years ago. Works great!

I split about 6 cords of birch every year up here in Alaska.
I use a $200 electric splitter on the tailgate of my pickup.
The splitter has worked every year for about a decade,
but I have another as a backup electric splitter just in case.

Easy on the back and I throw the split quarters in the pickup bed.
I usually do a bedful in about an hour, then take a break.
DavesDomain.jpg

I was in a bind about 16/17 years ago and needed one quick (threw my back out and couldn’t use a maul and wedges). I bought a 25 Ton Yard Machine splitter with a Briggs & Stratton 6 hp engine from Home Depot I think. We split around 3 cords a year and have let neighbors borrow it from time to time (Pretty much lodge pole and fir). It has worked flawlessly with occasional oil changes and checking hydraulic fluid levels, usually one pull starts after sitting all winter. Nothing special, drain the tank when finished and store in barn. Has tilt also.

Last edited:
I’ve been splitting a bunch of osage orange the hard way. It’ll make a man out of you in a hurry. Some of the big home stores rent them out. I’m thinking next year i’ll get a bunch cut and prepped and then just rent a splitter for the day.

3yrs ago I moved to a new property, only heat was wood stove and burning wood was all new to me. I thought I'd man up and split the old fashion way, estimating 4-5 cords needed. Splitting really big White oak and Hickory quickly had me running out and buying a splitter, eastern hardwoods are no joke. I bought a 30 ton no regrets!

Reactions: Hem
My dad has 2 ariens log splitters from home depot. They have a subaru engine. Phenomenal for the 5 years he's owned them.

I use a electric splitter from Home Depot. Say's it's a 5 ton splitter and has worked good for 7 years so far. Cost 300.00 then and is easy to handle. I do about 5 to 6 cords a year of larch, spruce, fir and lodgepole.

Sweet gum is real fun by hand...

As for the dishwasher comment..that is hilarious..

When talking about 4 wheel drive add on’s I have always said, “ I already have a winch but I haven’t figured out how to mount her to the bumper...😜😂😂. My wife doesn’t find it nearly as funny as I do.

I use a electric splitter from Home Depot. Say's it's a 5 ton splitter and has worked good for 7 years so far. Cost 300.00 then and is easy to handle. I do about 5 to 6 cords a year of larch, spruce, fir and lodgepole.
I like the electric splitters because I can split standing upright with the splitter in the bed of my pickup..easy on my back.

I did replace the hydraulic fluid with transmission fluid on one of my splitters for use when its colder than -20 degrees F.
Logs split so easy in cold weather!

I have 27 ton cub cadet a with Honda engine in it. For me if small engine isnt a Honda or Kawasaki it's no go.

I’d be looking at Tractor supply. I don’t recall the brand but I volunteer with a church group that spilts and delivers over 200 cords a year. They have two 22 ton splitters from tractor supply. they Run either vertical/ horizontal.

I have a 24 ton 8 hp horizontal / vertical splitter. Honestly, I've never used it in the vertical position. I negotiated for it as part of the house I bought, no idea what it would cost new. Oddly, I grew up cutting and hand splitting 10-12 cord per year of hardwood in PA. Wasn't till I moved to MT and started cutting straight grain softwoods that I got a wood splitter....

I bought a 25 ton, six cords a year. Neighbor boys, 10 and 12 are always looking to make walking around money

Attachments

• 26E88967-9820-4E50-9B22-3AAA5C5B9165.jpeg
    26E88967-9820-4E50-9B22-3AAA5C5B9165.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 3DF5FBAF-C99B-4A61-9414-B0D6AAF85B6B.jpeg
    3DF5FBAF-C99B-4A61-9414-B0D6AAF85B6B.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 8
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member