local long range planning

diamond hitch

This won't likely help the occasional hunters but I purchase USGS topo quads as a tool for hunting. On those I plot where I see elk, what sex, weather conditions, primary trails, wind direction, and time of year. I also plot where I killed elk as well as others I hunt with. My normal hunting range is 3-4 quads. often I explore new areas with a quad to get a feel for options when the season is slow. One year of my 12 normal hunting areas, the forest service had clearcut ten of them. Since then I try to look at 1-2 new areas per year to keep my options open.

I have found over the years that the maps serve to remind me of places I need to look and places I haven't looked yet. There are some years that nothing helps and other years that the elk just search you out. Take what you are offered don't get greedy. It's amazing the patterns that will show up after just 4-5 years of data collection.

I know I'm not normal but I've spent over 45 years working in the wild country of the 6 western states and Alaska and I know what works.

This won't likely help the occasional hunters but I purchase USGS topo quads as a tool for hunting. On those I plot where I see elk, what sex, weather conditions, primary trails, wind direction, and time of year. I also plot where I killed elk as well as others I hunt with. My normal hunting range is 3-4 quads. often I explore new areas with a quad to get a feel for options when the season is slow. One year of my 12 normal hunting areas, the forest service had clearcut ten of them. Since then I try to look at 1-2 new areas per year to keep my options open.

I have found over the years that the maps serve to remind me of places I need to look and places I haven't looked yet. There are some years that nothing helps and other years that the elk just search you out. Take what you are offered don't get greedy. It's amazing the patterns that will show up after just 4-5 years of data collection.

I know I'm not normal but I've spent over 45 years working in the wild country of the 6 western states and Alaska and I know what works.

One regret of mine is that I ditched my collection of USGS maps during one of my move cross country. Something to be said for being able to spread them out on a table, physically, mark 'em up, etc...

Now, to tell the truth, thy were of eastern North Dakota, so pretty easy to replace with blank and flat sheet of paper, but nevertheless...

One regret of mine is that I ditched my collection of USGS maps during one of my move cross country. Something to be said for being able to spread them out on a table, physically, mark 'em up, etc...

Now, to tell the truth, thy were of eastern North Dakota, so pretty easy to replace with blank and flat sheet of paper, but nevertheless...
Now thats funny I dont care who you are

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back