Load development for my 7mm STW

GilaMonster

Well, I have been trying to get the loads developed for my 7mm STW. This particular rifle is the pickiest rifle I have ever tried to load for.
I was trying to find a load for 150 gr Nosler Partitons. I used Nosler Ballistic tips to work up loads. Then ran out and bought some Sierra boat tails to work up loads. Then switched back and bought some more ballist tips.
I tried every possible powder I could think of and had similar results with all of them. I chronographed the loads as I worked them up and I got the best accuracy well below maximum loads with all the powders I tried. Seemed accuracy went downhill once I stared to go over 3,230 fps. The most accurate load was only 78 gr. IMR7828 with 150 gr Nosler Partition bullets at 3,230 fps. The SD (standard deviation) was only 10 fps with those loads and the rifle produces .5 MOA which is acceptable. One more grain of powder and the SD increased to 65 fps and accuracy decreases to 1.8 MOA. I had similar results with H1000 at 80 gr powder which resulted in the same velocity (3,230 fps) and the groups were almost as good at about .65 MOA and again, one more grain of powder and the groups were nearly 2 MOA.
I could easily get well over 3,400 fps from this rifle but accuracy goes out the window. I was hoping to get at least 3,300 fps from this little jewel but it doesn't like it, so I'm 70 fps below my expectations. Bummer.. but it does shoot pretty dang well..
2_7stw1_1.jpg

If anyone has a great load for their 7mm STW, I'd really be interested in the data.. thanks

I wouldn't fret over 70fps if it's shooting under MOA. Heck, I could throw the bullet 70fps and it probably wouldn't even hurt! ;)

For conversation,I shoot 162's at 3150fps in a trio of 24" 7WSM's.

Both my STW's(26" Sendero and 27" Schneider),would do quite a bit better. 7828 will reliably eek big Es/SD's and poor speeds,Re-22 is your baby.

I'd be kissing lands,chemically remove copper and shooting moly...in that order. NPT's are junk,as well...................

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back