Llama Strategy

Kiwi

I’m looking at a high country (11,000 feet +) elk hunt next year and am considering hiring llamas. The unit is a draw unit and has amazing looking valleys to hunt. But really the valleys are mostly 3 - 5 miles long and the valley that seems the best (access, water, timber and views into high basins) is only 3 miles to a logical camp spot.

My question is does this seem like a waste of time to hire expensive llamas? I’d really like to get away from other hunters and maybe 3 miles isn’t enough?

I would prefer not to carry out an elk solo from 3 miles back.

As far as getting away from other hunters, it all depends on what those 3 miles look like. A few hundred yards of deadfall might weed out more competition than 3 miles on a trail.

I wouldn’t spend the money on llamas to go 3 miles, but I have a track record of shooting elk in stupid places. They would sure be nice to have if you don’t mind spending the money.

It really boils down to how much do you value your $1000 vs. how allergic are you to 30-40 miles of packing trips (only half with a load?) For someone who is 25 the obvious answer may be way different than some one who is 55.

On the ground details can make or break your calculations, endless miles of beetle kill down timber for example where llamas don't fair well with heavy loads, unless you lead with a chain saw, which resembles work.

Llamas are not an ATV sitting there full of gas with a key in the ignition, but they are not high maintenance in the back country either.

I just got out from a 4 mile pack where we were surrounded by elk, saw no orange in an OTC unit where on the ride home with my bull yesterday I saw 100's of camps and hunters all along the road staring thru their scopes up at the slopes above. It is better to be up there getting stared at than to be below doing the staring...

I had two 65# llamas and a 35# llama and brought out non-essentials on the fourth, whole elk and extras in one trip of just under 5 miles, 2000' down in about 80 minutes, if you have ever carried 70 lb loads in snow you will appreciate just how awesome this was, especially as it is a blizzard today and all I have to do is start a fire in the barn and wait for it to pass while I butcher elk.

Last edited:
If your not against using goats like some, high uinta pack goats do rentals. Way easygoing are goats! And the elk don’t mind them, plus there right there with you, if/when you get one down. I know on my hunt this past September in a blowdown burn area, it would have sucked just to go back for pack stock!
Matt

You guys are making it sound real intriguing to give it a try. Take up a pack a goats or gaggle of llamas. Do you have to buy insurance in case a wolf eats one of them or one breaks a leg while in your care? what's the contract say for replacement cost on a trained llama / goat?

Three miles isn’t a long distance, how much elevation gain? You might consider hiring the llamas to help pack out if you kill.

You guys are making it sound real intriguing to give it a try. Take up a pack a goats or gaggle of llamas. Do you have to buy insurance in case a wolf eats one of them or one breaks a leg while in your care? what's the contract say for replacement cost on a trained llama / goat?
$3500 for total loss, $500 for injury

ITEMIZED INVENTORY LIST

Per Goat Rental

Cost of items if lost or damaged:
  1. Two or more goats with collars and name tags. $1050 ea.
  2. 8 ft. leash with 2 carabiners. $35 ea.
  3. Saddle. $450 ea.
  4. Panniers, set of two, with rainfly. $350 ea.
  5. Orange Screw™ with sleeve. $25 ea.
  6. Water bowl 2.5 qt. $25
  7. Grooming brush. $5
  8. 0-50 lbs hand held weighing scale. $35
  9. Squirt bottle. $5
  10. Roll on bug Repellent. $0 (just let us know if you used it up)
  11. Treats, 1/4 c per goat per day. $0
  12. Goat coats. $70 (wet/cold weather item only)
  13. Emergency packet. $40 (includes: goat first aid booklet, vitamin B-1, leave no trace cards, whistle)

There is no "normal" just read the lease before you sign it or better yet before you even agree to deposit. My leases are for vet bills up to full replacement cost which I arbitrarily chose as $4000. (In todays market some might be worth more some less, but without a crystal ball on which one you are going to kill I chose $4K) Any insurance would, I believe, have to be "in house" issue and could get pretty shaky if challenged I'm betting. Like in everything else "legal"-- whatever is on paper and signed is "the deal" Read it and be aware, negotiate in afores not arears... Your best insurance is don't do anything stupid, and don't be un-lucky. Sometimes the latter is an issue, sometimes it's a 50-50 mix. It is not a safe world out there, and particularly so if you have hooves.

A buddy and I have hunted with llamas twice to get in 8-10 miles and it was well worth the money. They help keep your legs fresh since you don't have to haul everything in on your back. You can also bring a couple of "extra" comfort items for camp that you normally wouldn't be able to haul in. They are very easy going and we have enjoyed the individual personalities of llamas.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back