Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Llama ranching and packing

Hey could you fill those panniers and take some pics of them? Open top?
Here are some picture of them with with two 4Qt square buckets in each side. We are slowly increasing weight with them to help all of us get in shape. Each pannier has an open top and there is a strap to go across between the two to strap anything to the top for a top load.
3CD682AA-4FCD-4B06-9A21-025C024A78F2.jpeg98625EF1-B770-457E-A76C-15C4B6D4B067.jpegBFEEF899-A716-4769-B4C3-947EC58D9143.jpegA145B4C0-C7E5-4FA0-ADD5-18DEF9B9211E.jpegEB851F2C-4FD3-4616-B065-34307AC6FA5F.jpeg0AA8F268-5823-4664-8995-F4D6839E0BD2.jpeg

56E5B3C1-AE34-4FC7-AC1D-65F239F79E0C.jpeg1B6C460D-E8EC-4733-BE31-8561302DEED8.jpeg27AD492E-94EA-42D6-81AA-5D05AA20CD7F.jpegWe worked with the boys today on some pack training and gave one a much needed haircut. He did good for his first, and my first, time. We are continuing to add more weight in the packs and walking through trees and overs obstacles. I put a few pics here but more in the attached folder. 06D8D07F-C6B9-4C0A-9308-1BBB88DF71ED.jpegE9E3F226-9A81-4182-9F61-29CD699B947D.jpeg

How heavy a load do you expect each one will carry? 70-80 lbs?
I’m expecting these guys will probably do 60-70 lbs each for the most part. They are a little on the smaller side so not as much weight but still less for me to carry.

I’m expecting these guys will probably do 60-70 lbs each for the most part. They are a little on the smaller side so not as much weight but still less for me to carry.
That would be a big help. What's their temperament like?

That would be a big help. What's their temperament like?
They are all great. The one we have a haircut to today is only two so he still has his moments of testing every else (including us)! The others are pretty laid back. Each one has their own personality. I grew up with horses (never packed with them though), and so far these guys are much more laid back.

Thanks for the follow up info many ways to skin a cat and that is a first look at that type for me. Were the buckets pick-ups or came with the panniers and made to fit?

Thanks for the follow up info many ways to skin a cat and that is a first look at that type for me. Were the buckets pick-ups or came with the panniers and made to fit?
I picked up the buckets later as an add on for me. I saw a lot of other people using that idea and ran with that. So far I like it with the buckets, but it’s easy to go without them too. Like you said, so many ways to go, no wrong choice just different options.

I picked up the buckets later as an add on for me. I saw a lot of other people using that idea and ran with that. So far I like it with the buckets, but it’s easy to go without them too. Like you said, so many ways to go, no wrong choice just different options.
Yes those buckets would make for really good protection from hitting trees on trailside. I use small stout boxes from the meat section of a grocery store for protection of eggs and bread /potato chip loads. The buckets would be even more smash-proof but not as easy to reduce when no longer needed. I use my empty boxes for fire starter soon as their cargo is diminished. Stout square buckets would be handy for other camp duties though.

Interesting saddle design as well. I don't think I like it but it does look worth a try. Trouble with having 20-30 saddles lying around is there is zero incentive to give new designs a try and you tend to get a bit "invested" in what you have/know. This is also a product of having too many birthdays behind you I have noticed!

As I rent out my boys/gear I really can only have one system or it is just too overwhelming for people who barely know which end poops to learn 5 different riggings/britches etc.

The llamas are definitely a novelty here. No one has really ever been around them before. Our local small town newspaper even came out to do an article on them. It’s crazy the people that want to see the llamas and take pictures with them, hence the idea of using them to make a little money on the side (maybe pay for their hay!!)

Here's a llama, there's a llama

First time I had seen this post on here. Going to start following along. Looks like they are doing great and you guys are having fun with them. I've used llamas a couple of times in Colorado and they did great for us. Considering doing something similar in the future for camping trips with my family and hunting trips with buddies. Keep up the good work!

First time I had seen this post on here. Going to start following along. Looks like they are doing great and you guys are having fun with them. I've used llamas a couple of times in Colorado and they did great for us. Considering doing something similar in the future for camping trips with my family and hunting trips with buddies. Keep up the good work!
We really just bought them for the same thing. For us to use camping and hunting. With all the interest we looked into having a little side business (mainly for the kids as an FFA project). The kids love it and we are all having fun, which is what it’s all about!!

Do the panniers drain? With the open tops, I was wondering what happens if you are out in a rain/snow storm?

Doing well. Trying to get them (and us) into shape, but winter isn’t letting go here in SE Wyoming. Looking forward to warmer weather so we can access our favorite trails in the Forest.

Doing well. Trying to get them (and us) into shape, but winter isn’t letting go here in SE Wyoming. Looking forward to warmer weather so we can access our favorite trails in the Forest.
Starting to learn and look around for pack llamas myself. For the same reasons as you hunting/hiking trips and kids show at ffa. What have you seen as pros and cons of having them so far? Would be interested in what the biggest learning curves or struggles were if any. Thanks enjoyed looking through the posts and pictures only peaked my interest.

Starting to learn and look around for pack llamas myself. For the same reasons as you hunting/hiking trips and kids show at ffa. What have you seen as pros and cons of having them so far? Would be interested in what the biggest learning curves or struggles were if any. Thanks enjoyed looking through the posts and pictures only peaked my interest.
The learning has never stopped! We continue to learn every day with these guys and gals. We do not have any shows for our kids, but they still use the projects for their SAE (using all the hours they work, we just got a permit to lead hikes in the Medicine Bow National Forest over the summer). Probably the biggest thing we learned is how easy going the llamas are. It’s been a learning g curve, but a fun one. Feel free to reach out and I will share anything I can. (DM me and I’ll share my email if you want).

Back