Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Little boykin’s first waterfowl hunt

Wife (SC native) just gave her vote for a Boykin! Several of her neighbors plus a roommate had Boykins, and she loves them. I had no idea because we just never talked about it. I had basically made up my mind already, so really happy.

We both prefer a female. So...now the process of learning all about the breed. Will be a couple of years before we pull the trigger.

Smaller size is a huge plus to me. I like camp hunting with my dogs. A sweet little Boykin will sure fit better in the tent!

Wife (SC native) just gave her vote for a Boykin! Several of her neighbors plus a roommate had Boykins, and she loves them. I had no idea because we just never talked about it. I had basically made up my mind already, so really happy.

We both prefer a female. So...now the process of learning all about the breed. Will be a couple of years before we pull the trigger.

Smaller size is a huge plus to me. I like camp hunting with my dogs. A sweet little Boykin will sure fit better in the tent!

I hope you run cold! Cuz man it’s like having a personal heater on you!

This is my first Boykin and she is an absolute blast! She’s a great family dog well mannered and loves to play and cuddle. She’s compact but has the heart/drive of any bigger dog. She is a little small compared to other boykins. There are some downsides of course. Their hair is extremely soft so it’s prone to get burs in them. They need a bath if their an inside dog or at least a good brush. Also they’re nicknamed Destroykins for a reason. She never chewed up much of personal belongings growing up but they love to sit and chew. Make sure they have plenty of chew toys and you’ll never have a problem with one chewing your stuff. All in all great breed of dog and if you’re a little hesitant on the size don’t be!
Boykins and cow dogs have a lot in common, if you don't leave them toys to play with they make their own! We find Bully Sticks (dried bull penises) are tops. They will go thru must rawhides in a day, and you don't want to see what comes out the other end if you let them eat several. The Boykins are all heart that's for sure. There are two coat types, long and curly or short much like a lab's coat so if I were headed to nasty burr rich country all the time I might look at the short coat version. I have horses and found that if you give dogs a quick spray with one of the anti snarl tail hair products before heading into the field the burrs come out with no fuss. Use the unscented ones for sure! I have had Spinoni's and Drathaars along with many Brittanies and Labs and my 30 lb Boykin had every bit as much drive and bird sense, my second pick would be a Drathaar as I had a bitch that would take on anything you asked her to do, they can be a one man dog so potentially not as kid and family friendly (not all are, but pups are like a box of chocolates and you never know until they have been with you).

Boykins and cow dogs have a lot in common, if you don't leave them toys to play with they make their own! We find Bully Sticks (dried bull penises) are tops. They will go thru must rawhides in a day, and you don't want to see what comes out the other end if you let them eat several. The Boykins are all heart that's for sure. There are two coat types, long and curly or short much like a lab's coat so if I were headed to nasty burr rich country all the time I might look at the short coat version. I have horses and found that if you give dogs a quick spray with one of the anti snarl tail hair products before heading into the field the burrs come out with no fuss. Use the unscented ones for sure! I have had Spinoni's and Drathaars along with many Brittanies and Labs and my 30 lb Boykin had every bit as much drive and bird sense, my second pick would be a Drathaar as I had a bitch that would take on anything you asked her to do, they can be a one man dog so potentially not as kid and family friendly (not all are, but pups are like a box of chocolates and you never know until they have been with you).
That's great info. I've grown up with cattle dogs my whole life and never had a bird dog. We recently lost our Queensland who was as intelligent as they come and been looking for a similar breed but for waterfowl/upland purposes. Profile photo is my uncles lab and I tend to go back and forth on them.

That's great info. I've grown up with cattle dogs my whole life and never had a bird dog. We recently lost our Queensland who was as intelligent as they come and been looking for a similar breed but for waterfowl/upland purposes. Profile photo is my uncles lab and I tend to go back and forth on them.
Labs are great, I have hunted with a number that made amazing retrieves, and were great in the house. They could sweep a table full of canapes with their tails and then help you clean up, if they only did windows.

Great day hunting. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I really want a Boykin, but I'm not quite ready to have a dog. Someday though.

Nice pup! We're trying to sort out what dog to get right now and the Boykin's going to be on the list for sure.....thanks for sharing.

Very nice. I have always had a fond spot for Boykin's just our winters would be tough on them. Keep up the great work.

Nice pup! We're trying to sort out what dog to get right now and the Boykin's going to be on the list for sure.....thanks for sharing.
They’re kind of needy. They really need “their” people when you bond. Great family dogs. Hope you get one

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back