Lightweight Tent advise needed!

I was looking

around and found the following:

For a tent I was thinking that this Tipi style, rip stop, 4-season tent could be a good choice for a decent price.

http://wyominglostandfound.com/urethane.html

For wood stove, I found this Ti Goat stove that looks like it could heat the tipi up adequately and is super lightweight. Any thoughts?

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

Any pros or cons that you all can think of on either of these items? Thanks for the continued help with this. It is much appreciated.

Mike

If you deal with the guy form Wyoming Lost and Found, be prepared that he can easily rub you the wrong way. He is subject to a lot of jokes on 24hourcampfire.

Kifaru is expensive, but the quality is worth it, imo. Good company to deal with, customer service is great.

Another company to look into is Seekoutside. They have some good stuff out there, and their customer service is top notch. They are a little less pricey than Kifaru, but nor much.

I own a Vertex 5 from Tigoat and really like it so far, haven't tested it enough though.

Floorless and stove has advantages and disadvantages.

Can you expand on

the advantages and disadvantages you mentioned for the stove? I'd like to hear things you like and dislike about it prior to moving forward and actually purchasing one. I appreciate it.

Advantages:
1. When you spill something there is no longer a pool of water sitting in the bottom of the tent.
2. Said pool of water cannot freeze on your sleeping bag because buddy knocked over Primus stove of melted snow.
3. Said wet sleeping bag can be dried off with the clothesline that is provided in these tipis.
4. You don't have to take boots off to go inside your tent.
5. For the most part they are much lighter than your standard tents, and for early deer seasons when you don't need the wood stove it is very nice from the weight end of things.
6. For later elk seasons I will have my stove with me, and it will dry things off tremendously. After an early October deer hunt where over a foot of snow fell I decided that I needed something different to make it bearable.
7. Tipi's shed the large and small snows much better. Pretty easy to see in the design principle why this works.
8. The last few times that I have packed out my floored tent after using it in the snow, the bottom is usually frozen, which means that I have ice to pack out with me.

Advantages:
1. When you spill something there is no longer a pool of water sitting in the bottom of the tent.
2. Said pool of water cannot freeze on your sleeping bag because buddy knocked over Primus stove of melted snow.
3. Said wet sleeping bag can be dried off with the clothesline that is provided in these tipis.
4. You don't have to take boots off to go inside your tent.
5. For the most part they are much lighter than your standard tents, and for early deer seasons when you don't need the wood stove it is very nice from the weight end of things.
6. For later elk seasons I will have my stove with me, and it will dry things off tremendously. After an early October deer hunt where over a foot of snow fell I decided that I needed something different to make it bearable.
7. Tipi's shed the large and small snows much better. Pretty easy to see in the design principle why this works.
8. The last few times that I have packed out my floored tent after using it in the snow, the bottom is usually frozen, which means that I have ice to pack out with me.
I've been enamored with these type of shelters for years but haven't used/bought one yet. As a user, what do you feel are some of the cons?

Disadvantages:
1. Condensation is an issue, as with any single walled shelter, however they now sell the liners.
2. It is wise to make sure and get rid of as much snow as possible where you pitch the tipi. I know they pitch these things on the snow for winter camping, but I have never used one for that. Mine is strictly the hunting application.
3. You have to put something down for some type of ground sheet. Seekoutside makes a bathtub style ground sheet that will be in my gear here very soon. You still have to pack it in.
4. Animals smell smoke. Why I won't use my stove on my mule deer hunts. The elk don't seem to be as bothered by it, during the later season.

Others can add more, but the biggest reason I have gone this route is overall weight, and the ability to get dry.

Last edited:
I used a wall tent for years growing up and never thought anything about not having a floor, so really wasn't that much of an adjustment, just on a smaller scale for the most part.

One other thing for clarity sake: These advantages/disadvantages are the reasons I found for going the route that I did recently. I won't claim to be an expert with them yet, but can keep posting as I use them more.

Last edited:
That all makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much for taking the time to put that down for us. I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates your input! Now I just need to find a little pot of gold in my back yard to man up and buy the good stuff. Yikes!

There are MANY guys on here who are MUCH more experienced than I am. Some of them were likely in on my conversation to start looking the higher quality gear.

Its worth it.

Disadvantages:
1. Condensation is an issue, as with any single walled shelter, however they now sell the liners.
2. It is wise to make sure and get rid of as much snow as possible where you pitch the tipi. I know they pitch these things on the snow for winter camping, but I have never used one for that. Mine is strictly the hunting application.
3. You have to put something down for some type of ground sheet. Seekoutside makes a bathtub style ground sheet that will be in my gear here very soon. You still have to pack it in.
4. Animals smell smoke. Why I won't use my stove on my mule deer hunts. The elk don't seem to be as bothered by it, during the later season.

Others can add more, but the biggest reason I have gone this route is overall weight, and the ability to get dry.
Thanks! Those are the common issues folks seem to have and you've apparently dealt with them. I'm thinking of just getting a TiGoat bivy (9oz) instead of using a ground sheet. Only thing I really need to keep clean is my sleeping bag. I've got a Sierra Designs 2 man, just haven't used it yet. Might make a summer project out of sewing in a stove jack.

Like many folks here, I sleep much better in my own tent rather than next to a snoring grizzly bear of a man. REI has just about every tent that you can think of. You can buy a lightweight 3-4 person tent and split it up amongst your group. When I camp with my buddy, I only sleep with him if it's going to rain. The REI Quarter Dome Tent weighs less than 5 lbs and sleeps 3. Probably can sleep 2 people comfortably. IT would make an awesome 1 person tent too!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back