Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Lightweight Tent advise needed!

engelwood

Hey there. I'm looking to do some hike-in, backpacking trips over the next several years and am looking for a tent that can comfortably hold 3-4 full grown men, that can handle wind and rain as well as a reasonable amount of snow, without fail. Lightweight as possible would be nice. Does this tent exist? Anyone have something that resembles the above? Thanks in advance for any input you can give me!

On backpacking trips we find it works better for each person to carry their own tent. Then you have a little room for your gear inside. Once in a while we will squeeze two in one tent but it's a little tight. That hilleberg is an excellent lightweight tent. It is true most of those tents rated for 2 -3 men would be way too snug for most people.

I sleep a lot better in my own tent, so I'm with yotestalker. I use a Eureka Solitare that I have failed to replace several times. I only pack 2 (aluminum) stakes for the front of the fly and tie off the rest of the tent to vegetation. That puts it right at 2lbs. My 12 year old son started backpacking with me last summer and we have found that separate solo tents are lighter and we sleep better. Our second solo tent is a Big Agnes Seedhouse S1. It can also be stripped down to 2lbs, but it can get drafty under the fly, so I end up in it when my son comes with.
I would invest in solo tents before getting the 3-4 man.
If I had the money, I would shop with Fin.

We do the same as above. We have one larger tent at base camp but more for getting together to eat or get out of the elements. Our sleeping tents are all individual. That way you can put some distance in between the snoring.

I would suggest separate tents as well. But if you go the one tent route, I'd suggest a tipi. I have a shangri la 5 that will sleep 3 with ease, gets pretty tight with 4.

I gotta recommend everyone having their own tent as well, however if you are decided against that, and looking for a tent that cannot fail seek Fin's advise. There's none better than Hilleberg, but you gotta pay for it.

I can vouch for the Hilleberg's that Fin suggested; I'd go with the Nallo 4 GT. I've had an Allak for a couple of years and have used the Nallo's and an Unna. A tipi would do really nicely as well--one of each gives you lots of nice options. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my budget was a little less than the hilleberg and tipi tents are coming in at, but maybe I just need to re-evaluate my budget. I like quality products and don't like buying things twice, especially when it comes to hunting gear. Thanks for the input. Keep any other ideas coming as I am new to shopping for these types of tents and appreciate any other suggestions.

I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek 3 man. I wanted the lightest tent possible and it fits the bill. It will comfortably fit 2 guys and some gear great. We actually fit 3 guys in it and it wasn't miserable. I will say though that it is more of a 3 season tent and is very light weight material. You would want a footprint cloth for sure. It was real waterproof and we didn't have any leaking problems with heavy rain. It packs real small and is easy to set up.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL3

you gentalmen peaked my intrest in the agness tent,will it handle 40 miles per hour winds,rain,snow,sleet,and farting in it every now and then,i ask because i am a big fan of the eureka timberlin 6 man season 4 tent,but this one actualy looks quite solid.:)

Back